few questions, strings, counterweight...

Hi

Well, I am kinda new here, I have a YYF Grind Machine, and I now the tricks in the learn section up til the matrix, and I have few questions:

up til now, I have been using the 5 strings I got with the yoyo, and now I want to buy a pack of strings.

1. Which strings should I buy?
  2. Where from?(In my country the only option is ordering online) so please give me an online shop/ebay seller that ships worldwide and accepts PayPal.
  3. If I want to add a counter wight, is this yoyo is OK or I need to buy a another one?

Thank you, and sorry for my English…
Dan.

Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

To answer your first question I would order from yoyoexpert to buy your string, they ship international, and accept paypal. I would wait until they restock KittyString though because they will in early February they said and it is amazing string. If you can't wait then get regular 100 bulk yoyoexpert string. It is great but be careful, I have found the neon orange feels horrid and seems to come already frayed when you order. Also, they only have a few colors of string left, and most are "twisted" or multiple colors.

For your second question, you are in luck! Any yoyo can accept a counterweight just fine, but some people prefer certain yoyos over others for counterweight play. The Plastic Grind Machine happens to be – In my opinion-- one of the best, inexpensive 5a players. Also once you get more advanced you will find, people tend to like yoyos with lots of rim weight for 5A, which is why the Genesis by Yoyofactory is such a popular yo-yo for 5A.

Hope I helped

~dingo

thanks for the quick reply, but the shipping to my country from yoyo expert is 30$, too expensive for just strings.

and can you tell me which string type is better? I ment(100%poly, 100%cutton, 50-50%,type 6, type 8, slick 6…and so on)
which of those types is the best?

you would want 100% poly for the best unresponsive play.

the yellowish green or the bright yellow 6-bundle 100 are good?

[online store link removed]

and how about those:
[online store link removed]
?

Mod edit- please don’t post links to other online stores

You dont need to look anywhere else because you can buy all the string you need right here a yoyoexpert undr the shop section. I would just get 100% poly white since white is 2$ cheaper.

Thanks for the answers, but actually I have to buy somewhere else, the shipping from here is about 30$, while on others its under 10$

Contact YYE for options regarding shipping. First Class Mail may be an available option.

1. you can start with 100% poly, standard string, but you should try premium handmade strings like G strings, ham string etc… they offer a different play that you may or may not enjoy more
  2. this is a shop’s forum so not the good place to ask this, try on facebook (if you’re not there, go there, it’s heavily used by the yoyo community)
  3. basically any yoyo is good to be used with a counter weight, although some might give a slight edge if you’re a beginner. I’m thinking about the yoyojam Destiny which also comes with its own counterweight

we had this discussion last week end about whether or not it’s recommended to be good in 1A before going for 5A, and actually it doesn’t matter that much because 1A and 5A are very different styles even tho they may look somewhat similar, they aren’t.
My opinion here is that the more you do 1A before going 5A, the more your 1A will influence your 5A (like you’ll be using similar mounts and moves then integrating CW play in it), but the thing with 5A is, you have much more freedom, so in my opinion, it’s better to start 5A when you’re still green as a yoyoer because you will try to do different stuff that a good 1A player might not think of.

Being good in 1A helps for 5A in the way that you’ll be able to keep your flow for example, speed etc… you won’t struggle with basic tricks as much. But all in all, if you want to go 5A, go for it.