Favourite bi metal tech yo-yos?

I’m on the hunt for a really powerful and stable bi metal for tech/slack tricks.

Had my eyes on a hinemosu but couldn’t find the colour I wanted.

Any recommendations?

1 Like

I think majority of tps are named best tech yoyos
But if you’re not willing to spend 200$
You can try to find a motion harmonic
It’s preety light but very powerful and my tp collector friend has approved it as a nice powerful floaty yoyo which is also very good for tech

3 Likes

You can do tech and slacks with any Yoyo. Hades does excel at those things though. Not too wide so your tech won’t be precarious with an obnoxiously wide width. The weight also helps it remain stable with tons of spin if you accidentally bump.

2 Likes

I’ve never played with a yo-yo over 65g, can’t imagine what a 80g yo-yo would feel like.

1 Like

I’ve played with a harmonic a lot, and I’m not super into tech, but I can second this as a very stable yo-yo, rivaling some other heavier bimetals I’ve tried.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie it definitely takes some getting used too. Once you do get used to the weight, it’s hard to go back. It’s super easy to control and can still go fast if you push it and it spins forever.

Hmmm 80g sounds ridiculous on paper but everyone online seems to love it, I’ll have a look around

The bimetal by Yoyo factory is also a great option for the price. I have one that I am looking to trade if you are interested.

Duncan gtr and grasshopper gtx

The gtr is wider, has better flow and seems more stable. Both are heavy rim weighted and stable

Interesting, I currently own a grasshopper 2.0 and am very happy with it but it sounds like the gtr is is even better, is it worth the upgrade?

Not a fan of yyf I’m im being honest, seems like they’re better options at a similar price point

2 Likes

I only have the original grasshopper to compare to. I use the GTR for learning new tricks and tech combos because of its stability and spin time.
The GTR JS is the lighter version and seems to be the best bimetal from Duncan available. Both the GTR and the GTR JS are really good.

1 Like

If you just want a new bimetal yoyo get whatever looks cool. You’ve already got a Grasshopper GTX 2.0 which is a pretty great stereotypical tech focused yoyo.

GTR (and JS) will not be an upgrade if you want something that purely has the traits of stereotypical tech yoyo, the GTR will just be a different yoyo. Do you want more width to land slacks easier? Or do you want less size to weave through smaller formations? Do you want a heavier yoyo with more spin time, or a lighter yoyo that takes less effort to move around?

Just saying “tech yoyo” clearly isn’t getting your point across very well for what you want based on the recommendations you’re getting. You can do tech with any yoyo as a generalized statement, and you don’t really have any examples of what your trickset or pacing are or any real specifics for what you want to do with the yoyo.

I would say just enjoy your Grasshopper GTX 2 if you’re really into the concept of a “tech” stereotyped yoyo, I mean it’s even the sig of Janos so it even has the quality of being a sig for an iconic technical player.

But really I’d say just don’t worry about what a “tech” yoyo is and if you want a new bimetal… just get whatever you personally want, the specifics don’t matter. Sure you could get an MSG or an Aster (which I’d both prefer over a Hinemosu)… but it sounds like you don’t really know exactly what you want. So spending that much on more niche and specialized yoyos might just be a waste, compared to just getting something more generalized or something that has you more excited to play it.

8 Likes

Palpitation ES.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve move on from Yoyo factory. Really liking what Yoyofriends is doing recently.

3 Likes

Unprld - SU1 is just amazing for tech, I use it very frequently, there are some videos from Colin Beckford using it and its great

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response!

I guess I’m just looking for an excuse to spoil myself with a new yo-yo haha.

Why do you prefer the aster over the hinemosu?

I’m really curious to try a turning point

2 Likes

Bigger diameter, heavier. Basically just more spin, a bit more stable. Not as much as you’d get out of a Hades though. Half of tech for me personally is trick creation and being able to just sit in mounts for longer while contemplating movements and formations for where you want to go with your trick. I could see other people preferring the smaller diameter of the Hinemosu over an Aster though.

It’s also Yuta Kashiwaya’s sig who is one of my favorite players. There’s something about using the same yoyo and setup while doing the same tricks as the players you wanna imitate.

3 Likes

This last part is exactly what has me going between having my next purchase be an msg/aster or a klondike. The “copy setup of one of my favorite players” has really got a pull.

3 Likes

My favorite bimetal yoyo is bae from yoyorecreation. It is a bit expensive, but yoyorecreation’s yoyos are simple and cool with almost no blurring.
There are three reasons why I recommend bae.
The first is that the smaller diameter makes it easier to do tricks such as passing between fingers or through narrow spaces. Although the diameter is small, it has great rotational power!
Second, it is a little wider, which makes it harder to make mounting mistakes, even for tricks that move a little bigger.
The third is the large rim. This large rim ensures power and rotational force.
The feeling of control is very easy to move, and you may feel a slight pulling sensation thanks to the power, but it feels very comfortable.
If you buy one, be careful about the size of the pads.
The size is different from yoyos like yyf and c3.
If you want to buy more pads, I recommend you to use HKMTequipment’s yyr large size. (grip N)
And don’t forget that this is toru miyazaki’s signature model.
Sorry if the text is hard to read.

3 Likes