Favorite SEs?

Hi all!

I’m new to SEs and wanted to hear some opinions on what SEs you enjoy in your yoyos. I have the privilege of getting to test Asteria Yoyos’ side-effect performance bimetal (SEBI for short) and a friend (shoutout to @mag) sent me a ton of SEs to mess around with for playtesting. Aluminum ULs seem to be the most performant option that lends the smallest room for error, but other options (like brass spikes, for example) lead to a slower more controllable experience. I’m still messing around with the array of options but I’d like to hear from you all what you like! There’s no anti-yo or stunt peg options, by the way–mag kept those treasures rightfully under lock and key. :joy:

8 Likes

I’ve always just used ULs because few OD yoyos are very rim weighted, so I try to use SEs that capitalise on reducing centreweight.

6 Likes

I’ve got 3 that are compatible (Kamuraiju, Panorama, L. Terrarian) and I prefer flat caps most of the time.

3 Likes

Yeah, this yoyo is a competition bimetal at heart:

Very min-maxed its default state

11 Likes

I like lego, UL, and flat caps the best so far.

3 Likes

Mostly flat caps but AL ULs for some yo-yos and as a change of pace. It’s true the that recent ODs are rarely prominently rim weighted, but I find that some are just more enjoyable with the centerwieight.

But I have only been able to try the range between AL ULs (2.5 g) and AL flat caps (3.3 g). I really wish there were more variety that was easily available. This image is from an email I got on 6/20/2022, which I regret ignoring at the time. Since then, flat caps are the heaviest I have seen individually or installed on a new yo-yo.

Screen Shot 2023-10-07 at 5.17.00 PM

3 Likes

What is it?

1 Like

Asteria Yoyos SEBI prototype! This is the current configuration:

9 Likes

Spikes on some stuff. Ultralights on some. Flat caps are okay. My experience is very limited however. I’ve only tried these and domes. I like the domes on my deep state but haven’t found anything else that I like them on. I have mini spikes on the way that I’m excited to try.

3 Likes

Domes

16 Likes

My favorites are Ultra lights, Flat Caps, Large Spikes, Lego, Brass Ultra Lights, Domes. In that order.

It really depends on the throw though. Some SEs bring out the best over others and it changes a bit for each yoyo.

5 Likes

I’ve tried the spikes just to see how well they matador, but I run UL’s in my One Drops. I just like keeping the center weight down. I’m planning on filing the nubs off some Legos to get a flush flat cap on the Pomodoro. If you’re interested I can post an update in here once I get it done.

5 Likes

Spikes cus they look the coolest!

I would really like to try some stunt pegs but I don’t really want to hunt them down.

1 Like

Glad there is high praise on the flat caps. I have my first SE’s coming in the mail. Flat caps. Super excited to try these!

1 Like

I have some flat caps and one set of brass domes and the heavy SE are very interesting to play cause i can deff feel the difference in play… kind of like the variety so im hoping OD puts out more 4g plus SE again to try a few more. Brass dome in my DeepState was a bit intense!

2 Likes

SE’s are just the coolest yo-yo innovation in my opinion. Not only do they change the play-feel of the yo-yo, but more importantly there is zero worry of stripping your yo-yo.

With the numerous configurations and color matching’s, it’s is just so fun.

Despite some opinions, you can achieve near zero vibe.

Here are a few of my favorites to try different SE’s in.

12 Likes

Blue and orange goes so hard, love that combo!

4 Likes

Yep, that’s a definite plus!

3 Likes

What’s the first yoyo here? RSO?

2 Likes

RSO/atmos Gravity

2 Likes