Favorite Retro Gaming Handheld/What's Everyone Playing?

Yup! It can be a problem sometimes, as I’m getting into romhacks but sometimes they’re not complete yet, but I hate seeing the version on the file name. So for example, if my rom of Pokémon Unbound starts out as Pokemon_Unbound_2.0.gba but I rename it to just Pokemon Unbound.gba, but when 2.0.1 comes out idk if it needs updated or not because I forgot what version I have :joy: That’s not a problem if you’re playing real old games though since it doesn’t really matter which version you have. I keep backups of clean copies of certain Pokémon roms though, because certain romhacks need certain versions of the rom dump to work properly.

4 Likes

Some custom firmware and emulators and such have auto “junk” file name cleaners that just hides the extensions and text. Pretty handy.

2 Likes

Decided my Everdrive would get a holographic minish cap cart sticker and will live in my GB Micro until I gold shell swap it and put a Zelda faceplate on it.
My Famicon Edition K101+ K-Card is going to either get a holo Mother 3 or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance cart sticker.
I also have four EZ Flash Omega Definitive Edition clear shells coming to customize for themed builds. :star_struck::partying_face:

10 Likes

I thought I was this person who didn’t want to tinker with the software but here I am with an update to Onion.

I haven’t played with it much but quick feature I like:

1. The default configuration for all of the different systems seems better.
  2. The state saves automatically on switching games and turning off (haven’t verified this isn’t available on the base launcher through a setting, but also haven’t found it).
  3. Theme-able but I’m not demoing the feature in the screenshot.
  4. The Onion launcher mode lets you fast switch between a bunch of titles + their default save state really easily.
8 Likes

I’ve never played Minish Cap. I decided to start it last night. Thanks for the inspiration!

3 Likes

MiYoo Mini V2
I bought it for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and couldn’t be happier. I’m amazed at how well it does PS1 fighting games, too.

6 Likes

Just got mine today finally and I’m loving it!
I’m going to print some better trigger buttons.
Then flash it with Onion OS, add some custom themes and scraped box art tonight. :blush:
Love FFTA :kissing_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Also got a few other odds and ends I’ve been waiting for. :yum: (Still waiting on the rest of it all. :dotted_line_face:)
Picked up a decent ANKER wireless charger for my wireless CleanJuice Air GBC build.
Got 4 clear EZ Flash Omega Definitive Edition shells for future builds and OG case swaps.
A couple more holo gba cart stickers for a K-cart and a clear EZ Flash Omega Definitive Edition shell to swap for a Kingdom Hearts AGS-001GBA build I wanna do soon.
A BitLounger Vegan Leather microfiber lined GB Micro and two cartridge folding case.
(Has just enough room to snuggly but comfortably hold and close up a long USB to GBA Micro charger in between the open space of the case.)

6 Likes

Happy Triforce Tuesday! :star_struck::grin: I’m one step closer to an all gold TLOZ themed GameBoy Micro. Looks like my gold shell has left Customs and NJ so shouldn’t be too long now hopefully. Got around to installing the newest update of Onion OS. It’s not as an intuitive and seemless preconfigured launcher as I’d have hoped, at least with the default PSX core through Retroarch. :upside_down_face: tested Spyro got no audio, double speed from a frame skip/speed up setting that was on by default. No vibration feedback, and it was widescreen ratio with huge black bars, so super tiny. :sweat::sneezing_face: Bit of a rough start. Thankfully the Expert section has a PSX standalone build that works perfectly. I’ll be tinkering with everything and configuring retroarch how I like. (I.E. Working :roll_eyes:)
In the meantime I’ve been playing my RG350P a lot more with the Adam Image on it. Going for 1000 jump ropes in FFIX again. :cowboy_hat_face::skull_and_crossbones::face_with_spiral_eyes::dotted_line_face: ifkyk.

8 Likes

Do you do custom work as a side thing or is it just for fun?

3 Likes

Yes :wink:

2 Likes

Just pinched off Harmony of Dissonance. I didn’t realize I’d never gotten to the best ending, lol. Did all three endings for gits and shiggles.

3 Likes

Decided to finally upgrade my RG350P and Miyoo Mini V2 to 512GB SDXC cards with full rom collections, the PSX set was a challenge of patience. :grimacing::face_exhaling: Shell swapped my GB Micro while files transferred. It definitely has its flaws as reviewers had stated being hit and miss but mine fitted mostly okay. Pleased with it until I can try and bend true and reduce the panel gap with the gold battery cover sticking with the OEM for now. Getting A Link Between Worlds vibes with the black and gold tones. :kissing_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Quick and easy speaker upgrade and better shoulder buttons for the Miyoo Mini V2 today. :blush:

6 Likes

I’ve converted an old Samsung Galaxy S5 into a pretty decent handheld emulator running roms in RetroArch. The controller is a gamesir g4 pro that I couldn’t be happier with. It even has tilt controls and can connect to a switch. I’m able to emulate GBA and SNES games with almost no issues.

6 Likes

Look what showed up in the mail today!

10 Likes

Where can I get one?

1 Like

The Miyoo official store on AliExpress is probably the best place to order. They’re out of stock right now but should have them again in a couple weeks. Otherwise you can pay extra to get one from a reseller on Ali or eBay.

1 Like

There are some on Amazon

2 Likes

Last nights side project was quick and easy. :partying_face::star_struck::kissing_closed_eyes:
I replaced the top back shell with a Kingdom Hearts edition one and left everything else original. Only had to remove the four rubber pads and screws underneath then slide up on the top panel and lift it off. Installation of the new top cover was just the reverse.

5 Likes