Favorite Retro Gaming Handheld/What's Everyone Playing?

In general it’s usually best to toss the microsd cards they come with for any of these (or store them).

If somehow you want what is on it, transfer and back it up and put it on a higher quality card (SanDisk, etc).

Will save you troubles on game saves and other issues later.

5 Likes

Woohoo!

1 Like

Bought to print some shoulder buttons. It’s so tiny!

2 Likes

It is! Almost exact dimensions of a deck of cards.

1 Like

Printed the grips. Really helps. Recommend.

7 Likes

I think my fav ROM hack was Pokemon Snakewood, imagine pokemon + zombies lol

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of that one, so I’ll definitely check it out, thanks!!! I follow HoodlumCallum on YouTube so that’s my main source of romhacks, he does some great videos playing through different hacks showing off their features. So that’s where I heard of Unbound and Inclement Emerald. But man there are so many romhacks it’s insane, way too many for one person to cover on YouTube lol.

Also, holy crap you guys who are modding these systems are awesome! Love the gold button mods and all that. Makes me really want to make a custom RG350 or similar system based on my favorite games. I don’t trust myself that much with a soldering iron though lol, the most I’ve ever done was rewiring an old electric guitar but that’s much less precise than a small handheld gaming system.

2 Likes

Exactly, there’s some great leather card deck holders out there that are lined/padded and perfect for the Miyoo Mini’s and retro handheld with similar dimensions.

1 Like

I need to print a grip for my GameBoy Micro that came in today. :blush: (rocking my EZ Flash Omega Definitive Edition in it and omg playing GBC games on it is hilariously mini. Native Aspect ratio is about the size of a postage stamp. :woozy_face::joy::pinching_hand:) Makes me want to get a FunKey-S soon.
I feel like my hands have gotten larger since I last played one. :sweat_smile:
Need to sell all these meh games I’ve been getting. Lol

5 Likes

Nice I love rom hacks!

And thanks! :grin::metal: I’ve been enjoying how easy building Gameboys and stuff has gotten the past decade. Most builds are easy drop in screens on pre-cut custom made shells. No soldering needed unless you want brightness control to save battery or make it insanely bright.
I just like stuffing as many mods into any device I can just to make it achieve it final form. :sunglasses:
(cackles like Frieza)

3 Likes

I highly recommend the onion OS launcher and I second what they were saying about getting a Sandisk card that suits your needs best. I’m going to get a 256gb or 512gb as usual. I like to max out my storage size and speed, if the formatted cluster size doesn’t impact loading speeds.

4 Likes

Finished renaming files in USA and Europe no-intro rom sets. :face_exhaling:
I removed all the “(USA) (Beta) (Rev A)” crap then organized them alphanumerically into folders. :nerd_face: Anyone else super OCD with how your rom file names are? :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Got the shoulder buttons printed and fitted. Took some fiddling, but worth it. These and the grips are a serious upgrade for comfort.

Now to try the firmwear update and onion os install. Watched a couple videos and feeling a bit overwhelmed as I’m totally new to this. Still not sure where I get more/different games. Is this part of onion os? Tell me it’s no big deal @adamantiumpops and @Tobiyo89.

4 Likes

It is no big deal. I followed Retro Game Corp’s written guide. Piece of cake.

2 Likes

For games I highly recommend googling No Intro Gameboy Advance roms ,etc to find clean dumped rom archives of all the games you could ever want. There’s also an ENG PSX .CHD download list on
Archive .org :wink: basically makes all the track files and bin/cue files one .CHD per game disc.

Just follow the YouTube tutorials and reference the linked written guides and you should be able to muddle through. :hugs:

I got a 256 gb SanDisk card. What makes Onion that much better than the stock OS? The older I get the more I’ve wanted plug and play solutions as opposed to ones that require substantial tinkering.

2 Likes

Thank you @Tobiyo89!

1 Like

No problem! If you need any links to the complete rom sets I’ve downloaded just lemme know I can PM ya. :grin:

2 Likes

I would love a PM with said info as well, appreciate it. My romsets are all named weirdly. I wanna get some clean ones.

2 Likes

Got a switch, which i love… but I’m really digging modding! I’ve got a few consoles that i like to switch up: gba, gba sp, gbc, gba macro, anbernic rg351v, retroid pocket 2+. Pics of some for attention!

Shameless plug: I’m trading my modded green and black gba sp for a/ some yoyos… all offers welcomed and considered!

7 Likes