Is anyone here in to modding gameboys?

Saw this earlier and was immediately intrigued followed by a subtle wave of nostalgia. I used to have a Gameboy Color when I was a kid, and I remember struggling to play at night time because of the backlight issue.

I’m considering hunting one down to mod myself, does anyone here have experience with this?

3 Likes

I did this to mine a while back so I could get a nostalgia hit.

It’s fairly simple to do, all you need is the Gameboy a Gameboy SP and diode and wire. I made the mistake of soldering the diode the wrong way around and it blew the SP screen!

I recently have been toying with the idea of putting a rechargable battery in the console. I’ll dig it out later and post a pic.

3 Likes

I’ve done a backlight mod on my Gameboy advance. I went that route because the advance fits my hands better. Let me know if you want some advice on how to do it.

4 Likes

I to have done the backlight mod on my GBA!

6 Likes

Was there anything notably different between the Gameboy Advanced and the Gameboy Color other than shape?

If I still had my original Gameboy or Gameboy Color (or any other game except for Tetris for some reason :frowning: ), definitely. I love messing around with electronics.

1 Like

Shape and the addition of sholder buttons are the main upgrades. Obviously if you just play gameboy/Gameboy color games they won’t be used for gameplay. If I remember correctly they will shift between the native image and a stretched out one though because the advance also has a larger screen.

2 Likes

There was also a change in cartridge. We got actual Gameboy Advance games, though the GBA was backwards compatible with old school gameboy cartridges

1 Like

Cool! I didnt know this was a thing. I still have atleast one of every gameboy. If I was a smarter guy ide try it out. Anyone remember when the GBA sp first came out? Man that was awesome. No longer being tied down to batteries and house lamps.

1 Like

Hey, pm me

I’ve looked into a few times for adding a backlight to my GBA. Ended up finding a Micro for cheap so that ambition fizzled. I just need to get a Gameboy Light from Japan, and my gameboy/GBA collection will be complete.

I still have a game boy pocket, game boy color, and and advance in my closet somewhere. I always say “yeah I should do that” when I see mod videos and the like, but once I get them out I just wind up spending hours playing pokemon or castlevania and forget all about it.

8 Likes

Here it is.

Really fun little project to do, quite straight forward too. If you want to get the most out of retro Gameboy games I’d probably aquire a Gameboy SP: already has a backlight, rechargeable battery and can play all the GBA games. The original and colour games like out at the bottom from the console though.

3 Likes

This is so cool, gotta get my Mario and pokemon on again!

I will definitely hit you up about mods whenever I get around to it

1 Like