Favorite Retro Gaming Handheld/What's Everyone Playing?

This looks super interesting. Where would I look to get one? A quick Google turns up sites that I am skeptical of…

They do all seem pretty sketch. Amazon has them sometimes for a markup. I got mine at keepretro.com and it took about two months to get to AZ.

The Amazon listings look super sketch too…

I also lost my GBA and SP in a move. Why is that so common in this thread?

Noooooo! Sad news especially currently since it’s so hard to find original hardware for good prices.

1 Like

It was a while back, I just never replaced them because my kids were young and I didn’t really have the time. My Xbox One has sat mostly idle for just as long (though I did find time to buy THPS1+2, again).

2 Likes

Got it for switch as soon as I could. Such a great update to two classics. If you’re looking for something now, the Miyoo would fit the bill. My experience was good but lengthy with keepretro. Worth the wait to have a great little piece of tech to play all your favorites on.

3 Likes

You are all terrible influences :laughing:

My wife played Sonic and loved it though…

14 Likes

Where did you purchase it?

1 Like

I picked the least sketchy looking Amazon listing, which is now unavailable here.

It was ~$20 more than banggood or aliexpress but had a several day ship time rather than several weeks.

4 Likes

backlit gameboy advance sp with a clear shell and a flash card cart for those hard to find titles

4 Likes

Yes! Happy to be a bad influence. I just started another run of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Runs so well on the Mini. Is that Fire Red?

2 Likes

It is Leaf Green. I was planning to play whatever Final Fantasy, maybe Tactics, but my kids are super into Pokémon lately, and I haven’t played one since Yellow on original GB Color.

1 Like

I do love me some pokemanz. The kids are on a good path. I blame their parents.

My wife blames me too :confused:

We don’t let our kids play video games yet, so they’re into TCG. It was pretty easy for me to pick it up to play with them since I played MtG growing up.

1 Like

I wish I could afford to get me and the boy into a TCG. I miss Magic. Started a new DnD campaign last night though! So that’s nice.

4 Likes

We started with the Battle Academy. The new one is pretty inexpensive. It comes with three basic decks and a bunch of other supplies. It was a great introduction to the game. The only real problem is that the decks are meant to play against each other, so if you want to play against other people, it’s worthwhile buying yet another deck.

Also my kids have since become collectors, which starts to get expensive…

2 Likes

13 Likes

This right here. Idk if he would, but I sure as heck would

Kid Dracula is a fantastic platformer for the original Gameboy. Various power-ups, challenging level design, and light-hearted story. Highly recommend it, especially if playing on a retro handheld or emulator, as save states make all these retro games so much more fun (and of course you can punish yourself by NOT using them if you’re into that).

9 Likes