Favorite Retro Gaming Handheld/What's Everyone Playing?

My buddy recently found Kirby and the amazing mirror at 2nd and Charles. Used to be my favorite game.

8 Likes

RetroGameCorps on YouTube probably has the clearest and easiest to follow guides, reviews, and tutorials for both modding and retro handhelds. I would recommend checking that out. For custom firmware on the psp Go you’ll want to ship around, maybe find the appropriate subreddit to get the recommended guide.

I personally love my custom firmware 3DS XL, as well as my Miyoo Mini V2 and Anbernic 350M. There are a ton of options out there, but the main players making retro handhelds are Anbernic, Miyoo, and PowKiddy.

5 Likes

Good news is all models of PSP cfw has come a long way and is now simple enough to be done in about 10-15 minutes.

If you want to put up to 128gb of storage on the psp go you’ll need one of these adapters and be okay with following a tutorial on how to open it up to install it. (No soldering just some kapton tape.)

You have two options when it comes to emulation on the psp Retroarch which can be a bit tricky to figure out at first but is an all in one solution (in most cases) for all your emulation cores(emulators) and roms in one place. Or there are standalone emulators that can be installed on the memory card.
Here’s a tutorial on installing retroarch.

And here’s a link to the Retroarch emulator cores compatibility.
https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Emulators_on_PSP

Stand alone emulators are pretty easy to find by just googling psp gba emulator download etc and following one of the first few links.

This interesting article gives a bit of history on the numerous GBA emulators and their latest releases as of when it was written in 2021 to give you a good idea of how accessible emulation is on the psp these days.

Youtube tutorials and google are your most powerful tools when it comes to making yourself an ultimate PSP Go setup with every game and emulator you could want. For roms google no-intro psp iso or internet archive psp etc and you’ll find compete sets of anything you’d want. Go to this link click 7Z scroll to the bottom of the list once you see (USA) game titles. :wink:

4 Likes

For an easy one and done solution that a great bang for your buck I’d suggest getting a Retriod Pocket 3+ or Retriod Flip (when it releases as it used the same chipset.) get a Sandisk 1TB or 512gb card and setup is easy as following this starter guide tutorial. There’s a written guide with pics and a link on where to buy it from in the description.

3 Likes

Btw in case you didn’t know it, if you have a 128gb/256gb/512gb/1tb card on your 3DS and want to get around the 300 icon limit there is a homebrew .cias application called 3DS Bank. (by RocketRobz who made Twilight Menu++) You can download and install it with FBI, it makes each Home Screen a folder that you can name and install games onto to get around the 300 icon limit. :wink: Great for having a homepage dedicated to favorites and virtual console games, emulators, rom hacks, etc. :smiling_face:

It doesn’t get around the DSiWare 40 title limit but that’s just because the TWL nand of the console is so small. There’s ways around it though. By far the easiest and most logical solution is just to use Twilight Menu and have all your DSiWare in a rom folder.
I’m going to make a complete 3DS library for funsies. :yum:

3 Likes

Mega man battle network legacy collection just came out on the switch. Now that I’m playing that I want to go buy an SP and get all the classics back. FE6, AW, Golden sun. It was such a good system.

4 Likes

This was a huge help man thank you so much. Super excited to finally do this. People stopped buying psp gos about a year after release so I’ve been holding onto mine for a long time waiting to do this lol.

4 Likes

PSP gang.

7 Likes

I have been playing roms on my PC for a while, and decided to jump into handhelds to take with me. Unfortunately shipping is sloooow so this is all I have…

4 Likes

Gang gang

7 Likes

Picked up some new in box Nintendo brand WiiMote straps for some handhelds. Kay claimed the pink one for her pink 2DS I got her. :blush:

5 Likes

Todays little project. Got the replacement LCD and Digitizer in for the WiiU Gamepad with a cracked lcd that I got for putting CFW on my coworker’s 3DS. :yum:
Replaced and working now I just need to put CFW on it.

5 Likes

Been busy lately and haven’t had the time or energy for much in the ways of my growing list of mod/upgrade/repair projects, but I did recently upgrade the WiiU Gamepad I fixed with a larger 3600mah battery pack and I got a dead GameCube from my coworker for $10 that I’m going to try and take apart clean re-assemble and hopefully repair (looks like the power supply board) it’s a Rev C motherboard model so no digital out on the back A/V port so I might just mod it in the end with a hard drive games setup and HDMI mod. :yum:

9 Likes

I’ve been wanting to HDMI mod a few old consoles but every time I think about it I remember the Pi and get discouraged lol. Super exciting to see these get new life though!

2 Likes

Update: apparently the game I played as a yoot was not Mario Golf but was in fact just Golf where the golfer was clearly Mario.

IMG_4477

This game is brutal. It doesn’t hold your hand at all. No wonder I was such a bad golfer…

11 Likes

Anyone else miss out on the vita? I recently got one and it might be the best handheld console of all time and I’ve played them all including new emulators like retroid…

6 Likes

Miss mine. Kids about destoyed it. May take it to a electronics repair shop to see if the can fix it.

1 Like

Do it I can’t believe how flexible it is for PlayStation games pretty nifty. Sony really missed their chance with this thing… I didn’t even know about it when I was in high school just the 3ds. That’s bad marketing lol

1 Like

I went jungle green on my switch and pro controller. Thought I’d do the front frame too but then I watched the instructions and noped out :joy:.

12 Likes

My basement setup. Got the ps1/ps2 hooked up to the CRT, ps3/ps4 hooked up to the curved monitor. All games, controllers and memory cards are there at the ready as well. Had extra room so i put the n64 and gamecube down there too. Genisis, dreamcast, wii are hidden in the shelf behind their games and the SP and DS are in there too. Switch is upstairs.

7 Likes