Favorite Retro Gaming Handheld/What's Everyone Playing?

Google it for more information from retrododo. But I believe they said they will announce the tbd release date in 10 days.
Edit: for clarification.

1 Like

Here’s a good example of why I insist on spending the little extra and using Sandisk Extreme for 512gb sdxc cards formatted to FAT32 for 3DS Devices and others as well.

7 games installed at 11:07 PM (didn’t have an exact start time as I wasn’t really thinking about this again until I woke up. Lol)

59 at 6:28 AM. Doesn’t seem like much, but speaking from experience this would be far slower using a Sandisk Ultra. It took nearly 3 entire days to install about 230gbs of 3DS games and auto delete the .cias files doing them all at once.

For what I recommend, either the newer model 190Mb/s Sandisk extreme.

Or the newest model the Extreme Pro with 200MB/s.

Not a big deal if you’re very patient with the varying write speeds between models. I’ve used all of them on different 3DS models and there has been absolutely no difference I’ve been able to tell in the read speeds affecting any gameplay or loading of games or apps in anyway, as those functions are primarily handled by the ARM processors from what I’ve come to understand. But when downloading games with Hshop (3HS app) on a 3DS or installing anything it make a very large difference in the time it take. As I finish writing this 69 games have been installed.

Nice. :smirk:

8 Likes

Been a long time waiting to finish up this little R4 cart project idea. :partying_face::star_struck::blush:

6 Likes

I plan on doing a custom Spirit Tracks printed UV shell over a gold triforce shell like this one. Just have to find a decent quality matching case which is stupidly difficult these days. :face_exhaling: Update: Case acquired! :partying_face:
Overall I’m pleased with it. I wanna see about having a resin retro modder cast a metallic gold R4 cart shell and EZ Flash Reform IV Slot-2 shell for this one. :star_struck::sunglasses:

New case who dis. :yum:

6 Likes

Got some wiimote straps today nothing fancy but worthwhile having for some now very expensive collectors pieces. So I took some fun shots of what they went to. :hugs:

Edit: Whoops! Looks like I’ve been the only one posting lately so I’ve been cut off. :sweat_smile:
(5 reply max. :skull:) lol
What’s everyone else been playing lately? :yum:

6 Likes

starting GBA development for some fun side projects/resume building

2 Likes

Oooh very interested in hearing more about this. :nerd_face::star_struck:

2 Likes

Just want to strengthen my low level programming and force myself to work within a hyper hardware restricted system. Arduino projects were not keeping my interests so I decided to dive into the rabbit hole of homebrew

4 Likes

A Link to The Past (my favorite) on the SupaBoy.

2 Likes

I sold some vintage NES and Sega games this summer that went up in price. One of my favorites I only ever rented was Mutant League Hockey for Sega Genesis. Such a great game.

Just saw this was handheld vintage. I really mainly played Pokemon on Gameboy when I was young. So nostalgic back then, the new stuff doesn’t do it for me. Mario Golf was always a random fun game I played a lot too.

5 Likes

Nice! Would love to play test for you if you need it. I have some legitimate experience in software/feature testing, but also vidja gamez is fun.

2 Likes

I am a big fan of the Mario series even to this day.

3 Likes

Once there is something to test I’ll most likely just make the GBA file public for everyone’s enjoyment and testing

3 Likes

I started playing Donkey Kong Country and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance again. My patience for playing hours long RPGs that I’ve already played is not great recently, so we’ll see how deep I can get into FFT.

2 Likes

@TryCatchThrow That’s one thing that’s great about the Miyoo Mini V2 with Onion OS being able to toggle the Fast Forward Hotkey with *Menu + L1 instead of holding it like other default Retroarch hotkeys.
Example: on my Rg350P (Adam Image OS) gba emulator the preset hotkey for fast forward is to (hold) R2.
There are ways to setup a fast forward toggle hotkey with Retroarch and other third party CFW frontend emulation options like Onion OS. I have my Fast Forward Rate set to Unlimited. It’s in Apps>Tweaks>Advanced>Fast Forward Rate.

Being :sparkles:Adults :sparkles: now with jobs, responsibilities, and precious little free time to game as much as in days past, these QOL features are great to cut out the slog and grind of slower paced rpgs and turned based games such as Pokémon, Final Fantasy, etc. Even makes exploring overworld maps faster in games like Minish Cap etc. hope this helps. :blush: This also speeds up PS1 loading screens, unskippable intros/cutscenes, and saving game files. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks @Tobiyo89. I actually do make use of the fast forward features. I think I preferred the speed of fast forward on the stock image, so maybe I’ll see if I can tweak it via the settings. I used it pretty heavily during my play through of LeafGreen but I still haven’t managed to finish :joy:

3 Likes

Great info on Fast Forward. Need to look into this.

2 Likes

Got a couple clear crystal shell covers for my Hyrule edition N3DSXL and Triforce N3DS. :blush: been a busy weekend. In exchange for hacking two 3DS for a coworker, I’m getting a WiiU and gamepad with a cracked LCD and a 3DSXL that was sent to Nintendo to fix a broken hinge and after any slight bump or shake will make it power off. :grimacing: Easy fixes on both and well worth the hassle of setting up a couple 128gb cards full of games.

5 Likes

Just an fyi GameStop is doing B1G1 on select titles. :wink:

8 Likes

So all these builds and retro gaming devices have inspired me to try and find a solid one. If anyone here can point me the right direction whether that be a certain YouTube channel or insta so I can learn more that’d be great. Side note I have a psp go that I’d love to load up with games but I’m unsure of where to get any proper emulator software for it. So any links to those sites with good reputations would be yuge. Feel free to pm me. Thanks nerds keep on gaming :ok_hand:

3 Likes