Favorite Retro Gaming Handheld/What's Everyone Playing?

8 Likes

Been playing back through GBA and DS Pokémon games for legit event Pokémon and such to transfer copies over to Pokémon bank since I’ve long since sent those old pkmn over to Pokémon Home.

4 Likes

I have a SUPABOY with a 68 in 1 cart that has everything I need!

1 Like

Found my old Pixel2 phone and have turned it into a dedicated emulator. The gamesir x2 has been a great controller. Also, set up lemuroid for the first time after having always just used retroarch. It’s so much easier and cleaner to navigate.

6 Likes

Starting to get back some things I’ve been missing. :kissing_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

I wanted to get a DS and the new Metroid very badly in 2006 but when I saw you have to use a stylus for various things I bailed. My GB Advance SP still works fine though and it was a bday gift in 2002!!!

2 Likes

I always used my right thumb to aim on the touch screen and use touch screen buttons on Metroid Prime Hunters. They made a flexible DS stylus I had that wraps around your finger or thumb and it was awesome for online death matches.

Had to get a few goodies to go with the new DS Lite. :star_struck: matching D|P case, some R4 carts(1white 2 silver 1 gold), and holographic cart labels for PKMN Black, White, and Platinum. :sunglasses:
Going to be hunting down (saving up for :sweat_smile:) the Pokémon Black and White DSi’s next for matching flashcart sets. :hugs:

6 Likes

I’m not sure if it falls under the retro gaming handheld category or not, but is anyone else waiting for a Playdate?

1 Like

What a cool thread.

Years ago, i tried making a RetroBoy with a Radpberry Pi 0. Never was able to get it to function correctly.

These newer devices look cool.

Can anyone recommend a GameBoy size/style device?

DM me where I can get roms?

Thank you Gentleman.

5 Likes

PM’d some info

2 Likes

Dug out / dusted off and put fresh batteries in the Go Gamer Portable on the left. I still love handheld, non-phone games.

5 Likes

Love when an idea starts to come together. Now I Just have to wait for R4 carts to arrive. :yum:

8 Likes

I just found my game boy.

7 Likes

Fun fact for any online WFC DS game you’d like to play with others still playing online simply edit your auto obtain DNS settings to OFF and put your primary DNS as this: 167.86.108.126
Save the settings then go back into the settings and Test Connection it should say it’s successful. Congrats! Now you can play any online DS game again with everyone that still love these old games that Nintendo no longer provides WFC support to. :wink:

6 Likes

Using Platinum as an example. Using my default wifi settings it seeks out Nintendo’s now disconnected online service, the alternative DNS offers a new life for the online content in these old DS games. Here’s me registering my Friend Code to gain access to the Wi-Fi Plaza. :blush:
Hope this helps some of y’all enjoy some older games with online friends again. :slight_smile:

Here’s an Imgur link to the video demonstrating it working.

6 Likes

Story time! Had my brother over to visit after having not seen him since the holidays and he brought my olllld beat and bought off eBay cheap in 2006 Cobalt Blue GBA SP that I gave him, asking for me to mod it like I’ve done to others I have and what all it’d cost for parts etc. Tried convincing him to take that $200 and just get like a Retriod Pocket 3+ and I’d set it up for him. He said he just wanted the SP fixed up for nostalgia’s sake which I get. It was the first and only handheld I’d ever gifted him. I ended up giving him my GameCube and gba/gb link cable when I got a Wii. So I agreed to help him out, he asked how much I’d charge him for the mod work and said a knuckle bump and a thanks dude. Lol :joy: turns out the battery was swollen BADLY enough to permanently bow the battery cover so took it out and isolated it in a ziplock and layers of electrical tape. :grimacing: didn’t want to send him home with less than he came with since I planned to lend him an Ez flash cart and a spare usb SP charger cord he asked where to buy. So I changed plans I had a near mint black OG 3DS that I’d picked up last year locally for $50 that came with PKMN X which was what I was mainly after :sweat_smile: so the 3DS was just a nice bonus. I hacked it and then left it in a drawer of side project builds. Plugged it in and showed him how easy it was to now load 3HS(Hshop app on 3DS) using a QR code and the FBI app. Loaded up Hshop on it and he started downloading Fire Emblem Awakening immediately since I let him try it out on my own Zelda 3DSXL and he got instantly hooked and finally realized why they have so many FE characters on Super Smash Bros games. Lmao
Anyways looks like a new retro game enthusiast added to the ranks. I just had a really good time catching up and playing video games together like we used to all the time and figured I’d share. :hugs::smiling_face::heart_hands:

Cursed object vvvv :japanese_ogre::radioactive::eight_pointed_black_star::recycle:

He hadn’t been over to our new house since we moved so he asked which house and was like ah nevermind XD :rainbow:

8 Likes

As an exciting aside, while I was helping him find cool SP shells and parts on Etsy, IG, retro repair shops, and niche custom shell sites I found a personal grail from 2020 had popped back up. An artist in Russia did an awesome 35th Anniversary Studio Ghibli uv printed GBA SP IPS V2 mod set with custom box back in 2020. She partnered with a retro modder and did like 50 preorders which instantly sold out and was never repeated again. UNTIL NOW! Looks like she relented on not doing anymore of them and I got one of the shell kits! (There was only 3 left apparently.:skull:)
They did a small batch of these variant art kits that are slightly different from the original run. :scream_cat::star_struck::partying_face:
Original had some soot sprites on the top screen bezel and bottom left hand corner of the shell by the D-pad. One proto test shell they teased had a soot sprite from Spirited away at the bottom center of the top screen bezel looking like it was holding up the screen. :joy:
Super excited to do a build with this!! :mechanical_arm:

Looks like they also did an AGB-001 kit!

13 Likes

Thats actually amazing! The color scheme is perfect

2 Likes

Thanks! Super excited for it to get here!
I’m a bit of a Ghibli fan. :pinching_hand::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Welp! :face_with_diagonal_mouth: I did it again! :face_with_peeking_eye: and I was doing so well. :sweat_smile::joy:
Ended up buying an NTSC-U New 3DS Black Friday Exclusive Edition in a surprisingly graded (Very Fine+ C8.9) rating and a new in box Kisekai #055 Zelda triforce New 3DS plates. I caved and grabbed some harder to find 3DS carrying cases I’d been teetering on. :grin:
Also picked up some glass screen protectors, a 512gb Sandisk Extreme (on sale half off!), and a DS Lite battery. :blush:
Anyone else pick up any cool gaming stuff lately?

This is the aesthetic I’m going for. VVVV :star_struck::sunglasses:

7 Likes