Favorite Floaty Bois?

Hey, Folks! I’m selling other hobby things in order to expand the yoyo collection, and I’m looking for a nice slimline and a floaty boi of some kind (apparently I don’t really have anything that is generally considered “floaty”, so I thought I might try one or two out).

I’ve heard that Doc Pop’s Icarus and Shawn Exploder might work, same with ilinx’s melatonin, but I thought I’d see if you guys had anything more to recommend!

Thanks so much for any input! Have a great rest of the weekend!

Bando

3 Likes

I’m really getting along with ATMOS Noah. Added bonus of side effects!!

8 Likes

B7 Grail is my standard, rso tiramisu 2 is also up there

6 Likes

Chief, it’s been 11 years and it’s still on top.

3 Likes

C3 Speedaholic XX is the floatiest I own!

Ivan

I heard CLYW made a smaller version that is also floaty floaty - the “pickaxe” maybe…?

1 Like

I haven’t played a pickaxe but it should play a bit heavier and more solid than the Chief, condensing the yoyo down into a smaller size generally has that effect. That’s why most floaty stuff is either full sized, oversized, or just doesn’t have an emphasis on outer rim weight.

1 Like

Art 420L and B7, RSO Tiramisu2 and bowl xl lite…these are my favorite floaty children!

For slimlines, OD Panorama and Diorama are both choice. Mk1 sliver and docpop bolts (kinda still slim?) are all great options!

3 Likes

This would be my response too haha

4 Likes

Others might disagree with me, but I find The Sistine by Throwing Sideways to be quite floaty for it’s shape.

Plus it is a really comfy organic throw. I think @Roy_Dodge has one on the BST for a really good deal…

2 Likes

Following as i love float

I second the chief it is floaty love

The yoyo that finally made me understand what people meant by “floaty” is the Zeekio Z1.

Don’t know if that’ll help though since it’s not made anymore.

But i treasure mine. Gave it some nice colors.

3 Likes

OD’s Kraken was a very pleasant surprise for me as far as float is concerned. I am also a big fan of the previously-mentioned Bowl XL, although I have the standard release and not the lite version.

1 Like

Folks have mentioned these already but I figured Id put in a vote as well! 420L, Noah, Chief and the Grail and very fun floaty yoyos.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a scientific explanation on why yoyo’s have float? Is it something to do with weight distribution and the rpm’s of the throw?

3 Likes

Float is just a feeling, so it is hard to quantify. To me it isn’t about the yoyo being light, but more so having a lot of centerweight so there is a certain gentle feeling on the string. The CLYW double ring stuff accomplishes this best to me. The Chief is a bit on the heavier side but still has good float. Most modern organics aren’t as floaty now, because organic shapes have the most potential for rim weight.

6 Likes

My guess would be that float is equivalent to having less torque. While the rpms would be the same and the power would be the same, the torque behind the spinning object would be less.

If i could relate it to another example, an engine for example, if you have 2 cylinders and pistons all being the same except the stroke being longer on one. The one with the longer stroke will have more torque or force behind the movement. “Acting like a bimetal” more weight further away from center

2 Likes

Onedrop Cascade, my fav od yoyo after virtuoso

3 Likes

An old CLYW Peak, an A-RT Grail, and a CLYW Chief are the floaty ones that come to mind.

But one under the radar suggestion would be the Onedrop Overture.

I’d also throw out the Heavensent Creep.

I lay one of the above I haven’t played is a Grail so I’m confident of what I’ve listed. And I doubt the advocates if the Grail were lying.

5 Likes

For a big floaty boi, the Oh Yes Yo (OYY) P51, more bounce to the once

2 Likes