Favorite Floaty Bois?

The amount of times I have said this on the forum I have no idea, but I will say it again. Shurikenyoyos senban

3 Likes

^^^^^^ this is it.

I’ve thought of float as something that allows the yoyo to literally float in the air, like the yoyo feels like it has more air time when I’m doing Eli Hops. Not sure if you’re describing the same thing, but it’ll make quantifying float scientifically much more difficult if the definition of float isn’t fixed.

1 Like

I don’t own one, but what better yoyo is there for float than the one named Float?

The description that OneDrop gives for its Par Avion is the best I’ve read with regard to the term “Floaty”.

I have not tried this Par Avion but have wanted to for a while.

4 Likes

Interesting, I’d call a yoyo that changes direction easily “agile” or “nimble”, rather than “floaty”.

But it seems like “floaty” basically means the opposite of “solid” or “weighty”. I took to my definition of floaty after seeing it on the forums since it just made a lot of sense. You would expect a “floaty” yoyo to have more air time.

3 Likes

Floaty to me just means less presence on the string, what Japanese yoyo companies tend to describe as being a gentle presence. Floaty yoyos tend to be a bit more nimble, a bit faster, but not always since floaty yoyos can be fairly heavy and big. The weight distribution is what matters.

When you play a rim weight biased yoyo there’s a bigger presence on the string and it plays with more reluctance in movement. Floaty is just kind of the opposite of that.

So yoyos like the Chief end up being floaty from the inner rings and nipple adding more center weight. The Arctic Circle is seen as more solid and not floaty since it has a thicker outer rim and loses the nipple and uses a shorter axle to reduce center weight. Also the smaller diameter condenses weight into a smaller space. The Arctic Circle has a much heavier presence on the string even though it’s the same weight as the Chief due to all of those factors. That diameter factor is also why the Chief can be considered floaty while the Pickaxe is considered dense/solid.

6 Likes

My favorite floaty bois: 420L, Grail, B7, Kuntosh 5000QV, OD Panorama/Diorama, 5 Star, Hatrick, 5050, Alpine.

2 Likes