Fancy ways to enter a sub mount? Also Regen tips and tricks?

All in the title. Trying to do regens better, as I always have the yoyo at a crazy angle after I Regen currently. Also looking to spice up getting into a sub mount.

Thoughts? Tutorials? Advice?

4 Likes

When doing regens try to wait as long as possible before you actually do the regen this should help.

2 Likes

I feel like that makes it worse for me…

1 Like

Practicing 2A in general like hop the fence helped me a lot… this tutorial helped me a lot with my side style regens.

5 Likes

Are you trying to do sidestyle to sidestyle regens (breakaway to breakaway)? In those regens the yoyo flips around. You should practice this with a half swapped yoyo. That way you can immediately tell if you successfully flipped your yoyo. It also helps to practice this on a responsive yoyo.To do sidestyle to sidestyle regens you need to experiment around with the timing until you find something that works for you.

4 Likes

Thanks guys! I’ll keep at it. Trying to get more flow down and I think regens are the key.

1 Like

The video posted above helps break it down pretty nicely. Instead of catching the yoyo you just let it continue it’s path and throw it out again. Those are some nice simple regens to start with too.

Just note that the yoyo does not flip like in looping, it remains on the same plane and the only thing that changes is the direction of the spin. And don’t get deterred if you get some visible throw vibe after a regen, that’s pretty normal.

7 Likes

I think my biggest issue is that the throw DOES flip every time. My rotation is always the same as it was pre-regen. I’m pretty sure it’s just a matter of practice.

How bout sub mount? No flashy ways to get there? To clarify I mean like kwyjibo is a flash way to get into a double or nothing. Anything like that for a sub mount?

1 Like

Bouncing off the top string is usually considered “flashy” at least more dramatic. It’s what you do from there that makes it interesting.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing. Thinking maybe an instant mount like Nate Marstoff does. Just have to figure out the finger placement.

I’ve been thinking about instant mounts too lately. They are good things for me to try to figure out on my own as a mental exercise, and may develop something unique. It’s not just flash, it’s maintaining flow in the same direction. An instant mount may prevent a direction change. I will admit this is a work in progress for me, could use help too. Nate does have a flowy style right? Like many here.

1 Like

I like doing pops into a sub mount. It’s kinda flashy. You can see what I’m talking about at the end of the trick Dammit Hotpocket. You can also just catch it from the front and land in a normal sub mount, but I really like the little kink+rejection thing he does.

1 Like

Had just enough time to squeeze in recording this before I had to leave for work. I like doing this tension slack thing a lot, then whipping a slack from a houdini mount will let you just underpass with your NTH to end in a sub mount variation. Your TH ends up on the outside but there’s a lot of neat stuff you can do from it. I learned it as one of the elements in a @ChrysaeThrows tutorial (really great tutorial series on his channel, lots of really cool elements to steal from his combos).

For regens are you keeping the yoyo on the inside of your arm, or are you trying to regen on the outside of your arm? That was something I did when first learning that made them a lot harder. If you know how to do the Guy Wright bind, I just kinda do the flip over my hand exactly like I’d do that bind.

7 Likes

It hurts how easy you make it seem! Thank you!

3 Likes

I agree with @AKYOYOMIKE , practicing Planet Hops and other 2A tricks in general help get the throw straighten out. Here is a video by Master Dennis McBride (you may know his signature McBride’s Rollercoaster) learn and practice these seven regenerations of spin.

6 Likes

Damn never thought I’d watch a 2A tutorial :joy:.

1 Like

Its a good reminder that its all just Yo-Yoing at the end of the day.

5 Likes

Troodat.

2 Likes