Families and your hobbies

Tell them to turn off the TV, you can’t hear the yoyo.

Haha

Oh gotcha. I have a couple friends near by who yoyo.

My mom always thinks that I am the “chosen one” in my family to go to MIT, get a good job, and be successful, and she says “Playing with yoyo’s won’t help you get there!” Don’t get me wrong, she isn’t mean, but I’m only 13 and it annoys her that I’m playing with my yoyo’s.

MIT lol look there are colleges you can go to for a lot cheaper and still get a great job in engineering (im assuming engineering because MIT is the best engineering school in the country). There’s such a high demand for engineers you will get hired after even a community college.

Yeah. But hey, shoot for the moon, and if you miss you’ll end up in the stars, right?

My mom is supportive. She’s the coolest.

Most of the time my parents don’t really interfere with my yoyo stuff, but my brother also yoyo’s and sometimes can be annoying “I could do bla bla bla, look at me!”

The only problem with MIT is the costs to go. And when u can get just as good of a job with a cheaper college what’s the point?

I’m glad some of u guys have supportive parents!

But if you can swing the costs of MIT and are admitted, why NOT go?

Well, the college could be nicer, and the teachers could be better. Plus, I feel the people at Harvard are more sophisticated than the people at butte college (your community college). Ahhh, Chico state :)…

Good luck with that happening lol but I still wouldn’t go cuz unless they paid for my dorm , I’d have to pay like ten grand a year still for that, plus I’d rather stay local and not leave my girlfriend behind.

but the thing is you don’t know who has the best teachers, and sophistication isn’t really important, it all comes down to money.

See I can go to Wright State University which is local for 10,000 a year. (not including all my scholarships which will take off probably 60% of the costs) It’s right across from Wright Patt Air Force Base so they were donated lots of engineering equipment and they have internships set up with the base. So it’s a cheaper college who really knows what they are doing and has the right equipment and sets up internships. This just trumps MIT time and time again in my mind.

I’d disagree with the statement that it all comes down to money.

Choosing the right school is a mix of factors, cost, atmosphere, location, reputation, extracurricular opportunities, etc. The most important factor is just personal fit.

For someone with the means, however, I couldn’t recommend going to a top school highly enough. (as long as the other factors are a fit) It has a tremendous impact on not just your future earning potential, but also on your social circle.

Having a good school on my resume has opened up countless opportunities for me.

I guess ur right that money isn’t everything. U just really have to find a good balance. In my area there are tons of engineering jobs so no matter where I go ill get a job fairly easily especially with internship opportunities I have so it makes most sense for me at least to go to wright state which is just so much cheaper than MIT.

Oh and also wright state isn’t like a low end school or anything it’s just midrange just good pricing.

I always lol at that saying because the nearest star is the sun, and any other star is a long long long ways past the moon XD
you have a better chance of floating into a black hole…

jbritter3 I believe that you have managed to derail your own thread.

He does that a lot haha :smiley:

You’re so right. Please forgive me guys lol. Anyways

Families. How r they!

For me, anyone who knows me knows that I’m into toys/gadgets. They are most familiar with the music stuff I do, but they’ve seen me cubing a little, and heard me talking about going to yo-yo events. I’m an adult, so if anyone doesn’t like it…too bad. If they are at my house and don’t like it, they know no one is holding them hostage. :smiley:

One of my friends said something interesting though, she has an interesting sense of humor. I was talking about coming from a yo-yo meet. She asked, “Who are all these yo-yo people you speak of? Do they all wear sweatsuits, Nikes and have $5 in their pockets?” I asked her what she was talking about, and she said…“Google it, and get back to me.” :-\ So, I Googled "Nikes sweatsuits $5,"and the Heavens Gate cult popped up.

I was like…yeah, very funny. ::slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

On the school note, I don’t even feel like I made that decision on any basis but money. Depends on your circumstances I guess. I had no regrets either. I turned down my first choice school for another school on that basis. I still believe that a school that really wants you will put some money where their mouth is :blush: I went to a school that I would never have imagined I’d end up going to. A friend in school had an extra application, and that is the only reason I sent it in the bunch. It was just meant to be.