Ever take a long break from yo-yoing?

I started yo-yoing in the beginning of 2017 and dedicated myself to throwing every day; so 365 days! Since then though, I have seldom yo-yoed and need to get back on track. Can any of you relate?

It also seems that this site hasn’t been updated much since 2018-2019 in regards to new releases/re-stocks? Did companies quit making yo-yos?

1 Like

?

2 Likes

Yea, you must have been looking in the wrong place. There have been tons of new releases and new runs of old yoyos in the past 2 years, and most of my yoyo purchases have been here.

4 Likes

I yoyoed almost every day from 2009 to 2014. Once I entered high school I never threw at all. I started up again just over 4 years later in late 2018 and have been throwing at least a few times a week ever since. A lot changed when I came back, some for the better, some for not (imo). My mindset also changed after the break, and I have much much less drive to compete, but instead focus much more on relaxing, and having fun, treating it as a break from life instead of another grind.

On the note of not having any new releases, I don’t understand what you mean. some companies seem to be coming out with a new yoyo every month!

2 Likes

I can relate. I was throwing daily for a solid year, but burned out a bit (was putting way too much pressure on myself) and have had a hard time jumping back in these past few months.

3 Likes

I was an avid yoyoer from the late 90’s to ~2004, then I quit following the yoyo scene. I was happy playing fairly frequently with the yoyos I already had until 2018. I didn’t buy any new yoyos in that time. So a 14-15 year “break” in the sense that I was not engaged in the yoyo community. On the other hand, I never really stopped throwing yoyos, and have considered yoyos to be a hobby of mine for my entire adult life. I’m one of those people who needs to keep their hands busy, and yoyos are my favorite way of doing that.

3 Likes

I had a “break” from maybe the late eighties until 2018. I also had very little time for yoyo over this summer, due to the virus. I’m so happy to get back into it.

2 Likes

I got in it at 08 and was going to local meets etc until about 11 then took roughly 9 years off and got back into it when quarantine hit. I didn’t lose my job and I don’t hang out with friends I just happened to decide to get back into it as a meditative practice to get my eyes away from my computer screen (I work in front of a computer then make music in front of a computer screen daily) turning away from my computer station and listening to my own projects while yoyoing helps me analyze them in a different way.

I was never competitive but I went to comps. It was more a fun identifying characteristic for me in high school. Now I have a career and my main passion is music over yoyoing so it’s a great Great thing that I got back in. I feel I comprehend tricks better now as my mind has matured im now 28. But it’s not as high on my list as it was in high school.

2 Likes

I’ve taken several…the longest break was from 1999 - 2010. It was a time of being in high school/college, and having a job, venturing into other hobbies. There was also no good resources at the time (that I was aware of) especially in the late 90s to early 00’s. When I jumped back into it in 2010, I learned how much things changed…yoyo design, unresponsive play, YYE tutorials…I did take another short break between 2013-15 when I fell into a rut. I still threw here and there but didn’t push myself to learn anything. It took a stressful moment in life that made me pick up a yoyo and re explore where I left off (Dad was in the hospital after having congestive heart failure, had some other personal issues). I learned that even if I’m not learning anything new, the yoyo was a way to step away from reality and just take some “me time”. I’ve learned a lot especially in 2015-16 but then it waned. Today, still not learning much but since being “grounded” from my career for the time being, the yoyo is still a valuable device.

2 Likes

I was looking here:

I’ve never taken a break from yoyoing, ever. I will say though that I’ve never dedicated myself to playing everyday. If I had to make myself yoyo, I wouldn’t. If I were around other yoyoers things might be different.

I’ve yoyoed everyday, as far as I can remember, since I was five. I don’t play for any predetermined amount of time, I play focused and unfocused, I don’t force my yoyoing to be anything but what it is. Yoyoing isn’t my life, it just makes life better. It’s a boredom destroyer for me. I absolutely love the way yoyoing fits into my life and I wouldn’t have it any other way, though it would be nice to have a few friends to throw with on occasion.

My thought is that if you feel the need to take a break from yoyoing you really should. It will always be there when you’re ready again.

5 Likes

Those are old pages. Just go to YoYoExpert.com and hit the New Releases section or check out the “Releases and Restocks” section of this forum. I can assure you that companies haven’t stopped making throws lol. In fact, quite the opposite!

https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/c/yoyoexpert-releases-and-restocks/22

2 Likes

No I have never not thrown since I started way back when.

2 Likes