Have you done this?

Quit yoyoing for years because of a plateau in ability, but then avenge yourself with a spectacular return where it seems nothing else matters, except YOYOS!

I did, now what about you?

If not, what have you done to come to a conclusion where yoyos only mattered? :wink:

Iā€™ve done this exactly, 3 times.

I was yoyoing in the late 90ā€™s when it was a fad, basic fixed axle duncan stuff. Didnt yoyo for 15 or so years till i picked it up again a little over a year ago. Its amazing how far yoyoing has came. Not the same thing as your talking about, but yoyo is a big part of my life now, probably an obsession.

I thought Iā€™d bring this topic up, because everyone has their own story and yoyoing will always frustrate you then amaze you when you least expect it to. :wink:

i have 2/3 times :slight_smile: But for months not years

Several times. Played yoyo in the 90s just before the boom, stopped after the boom as there was no way I was going to learn Split the Atom.

Picked up 2010 and blew through the tricks I didnā€™t understand as a kid, and got through the intermediate tricks, and then sort of just stalled.

I periodically picked up a yoyo from 2012 to 2015 when I got a random kick of motivation to get back in and now in exploring the trick creation process.

1 Like

I was born in 98ā€™ā€¦so yeah I wasnā€™t coordinated enough to yoyo yet;D

I never tried to quit Yo-Yoing, but from 2011 to 2013 I went from practicing every day to not practicing at all. I randomly decided to pick up one of my CLYWs earlier this year and now Iā€™m back into it. Interestingly, creating new tricks was suddenly much easier after returning from that unintentional break. I also decided to isolate the best elements from my older tricks and incorporate them into my new combos, but as a result I have a lot less material now :smiley: Still, Iā€™m having fun Yo-Yoing again.

I started yoyo-ing at about 7 but the response wore down too much(i never owned a responsive yoyo) and the string broke so i left yoyoing(this was before the internet boom in india so i had no clue that such a large community existed ā€¦online shopping wasnā€™t a thing back then)
I picked it back up earlier this year while trawling youtube looking for decent Cardistry tutorials when i found Yotricks. ;D ;D

Iā€™m really finding all of these entries and experiences very interesting.

I sorta dropped it during college. But now that Iā€™m in medical school, itā€™s what I do to relax.

Not so perfect timing?

Iā€™m surprised at how many yoyoers have been/currently are into Cardistry (or Flourishing as we used to call it). Interesting to see these two skill hobbies coincide.

I was a hardcore ā€˜Card Flourisherā€™ for many years, so itā€™s cool to see other people that have made the switch. :slight_smile:

I pursued cardistry for a year or so before i reached a point where i just couldnā€™t find any tricks that interested meā€¦ the problem with that community is that they want to sell their tricksā€¦which i cant understandā€¦selling cards is fineā€¦custom made cards for flourishing do make a whole lotta difference(the virts ss15 was amazzing) but when you start selling tricks it just doesnā€™t make senseā€¦imagine somebody tricks to sell the tutorial for skin the gerbil-.-ā€¦sorry to the guy who started this thread for going off topicā€¦i just cant prevent myself from doing soā€¦il now go to a corner and keep silentā€¦
P.S.-suddenly the name Gambit makes much more sense

No itā€™s fine

I played alot in high school when it was popular (late 90ā€™s into the turn of the century) but either i could not afford non-responsive ones, or they didnt exist yet. I bought (what i thought was a ā€œgoodā€ yoyo - Duncan bumble bee ProYo looper, but it came with a bearing, so i thought it was the mutts nuts!) And spent some time with those. learned basic looping one and two handed (not great with two hands, but could technically ā€œdo itā€)
Anyway i got burnt out on not being able to progress like how I thought I should be. I couldnt do a breakaway throw to save my life and trapeze was a second debacle. But i could do string manip like the star, 4 leaf clover, the tower, and such.
Anyway, i put it away and move on with my life. fast forward 15 or so years and now there is the internet, with youtube, and lively forums, and wicked good throws! I bought a shutter from our store a while back, hesitant but drawn to do so. that was 4 months ago and now im breaking ever barrier i thought i had. Within 4 months I am very pleased with my progress in both yoyo collection and skill set expansion.
I gave up facebook so i have more time to yoyo. :slight_smile: Also i work at a hobby shop so I dont get in trouble if im ā€œdemo-ingā€ one of our throws. Needless to say, I ā€œdemoā€ alot hahaaa :slight_smile:

well when I was in elementary school in the early 90ā€™s I threw a lotā€¦raiders and such. stopped not to long after.

a little over a year ago now I was a toys rā€™ us with my daughter and got a Duncan metal drifterā€¦

now ive got 20 something throws and never leave home with out one! pretty sure my wife thinks im nuts

I did that in 3rd grade - year of 2007 - threw the Olā€™ Handy Dandy Duncan Imperial