Ever had a bad yoyoing day?

We’ve all had bad yoyoing / throwing days, right? Today, I’ve been trying to run through my limited amount of tricks / moves (frontstyle) and Ripcord / Wormhole is something I try to incorporate with everything and they’re usually no-brainers. I learned both of these things a year ago but some days, like today and yesterday my memory muscle just fails me. For 45 minutes I hit Ripcord maybe 5 times. I tried slowing down to really watch what I was doing because I was obviously messing up some tiny thing. It got to the point where I was thinking, “yoyoing is the stupidest, most pointless thing in my life!” No, I’m not looking for tips or coaching. I know it will magically start clicking for me again but it is frustrating to no end. A similar thing happened to me in 2016 with looping. I was throwing 25 perfect loops 75% of the time. Then…I lost it. The hand movement was gone. Months went by and I never got IT back which caused me to stop throwing for 5 months. I am still shy of looping like a dog with an abusive master. What was a Bad Yoyo Day(s) like for you?

10 Likes

If I get in that mental state with a yoyo I just put it down. Yoyo’s are something I do for fun, if I get frustrated, or even mad, while playing I just stop. To me it’s not worth getting to that point with something I enjoy doing.

edit: I wanted to add, nowadays with social media it can be a double edge sword. We can have an all day onslaught of amazing yoyo feeds coming at us, and that can either be something that inspires us, or can depress us thinking “why can’t I do that.” It’s usually best to put things into perspective. I mean if you really want to be in the competition scene, then it’s going to take some more dedication. But if you’re just having fun, then have fun, do things that are fun to you and just keep learning.

14 Likes

Yes…and the frustration of it all slammed me super hard a couple of months back and I’ve lost a TON o my enthusiasm for throwing ever since.
It really torks me off that even when I’m putting in a bunch of time every single day and putting a lot of myself into things…I still suck haha. That I’m still not consistent. What really eats at me…and I know I shouldn’t compare myself with others and blah blah blah…but when I see so many people just soaring past me while I feel like I’m SUPER far behind.

I don’t think I have the self esteem for this :frowning:

6 Likes

Oh you know… crushed myself with Medusa

9 Likes

You know where you want to be. You may feel behind while others wish they were at your level. A beginner might idolize me as I am thinking about how bad I am.

5 Likes

For me, it’s all fun. I just get frustrated when I have to relearn things I was doing well a week prior. It’s all a part of Long Haul Learning though.

4 Likes

Refresh yourself by learning new tricks that incorporate the skillset you already have.

5 Likes

I get very obsessed with getting over a hump and I can’t stop until I get over it. I was relieved that I figured out the problem. Ripcord: I was releasing the string from my TH index DURING the 2nd hop onto the string. 15 minutes after I started this thread the guy next door texted and wanted to throw. I was so shaken by my inability to do a trick I learned a YEAR ago that as we were throwing most everything I threw was skewed, cockeyed, and missing. He just got started. I am the one who started intermediate 2 years ago. At least I figured out my problem. He’s cool though. If I’m having a bad throwing day I just tell him. I don’t try to show off and act cool or anything. He has a friend coming this weekend and is excited to introduce him to yoyoing. Maybe these guys will be teaching ME tricks in a few months!

4 Likes

Yeah, I feel like I am super streaky with some tricks especially. I hit them really well some days and others it is a real bear. Some days my trapeze and other basics are pure slop. Sometimes when I haven’t been playing much of late but randomly on occasion.

3 Likes

throwing for me is to destress. if it’s stressing me out, it’s not serving its purpose… that’s THROWING. there are many different aspects of yoyos i enjoy - artistic, technical & science, collecting, historical, communal, etc… depending what purpose serve, and how large (or small) of a piece of life they are a part of, i manage to find some relief, somewhere… even if it’s just the finish one day on a particular throw. or NOT being able to pull anything off one day…

sometimes the bad days can be as good as the good days… leave flat bearings in random throws

8 Likes

It’s destressing for me too - or at least it hits that reward center in my brain if things go right. The good experiences far, far outweigh any bad. I just get frustrated too easily instead of just laughing things off and tackling them when I cool off.

4 Likes

Definitely have my bad days. Sometimes I get dumb hands and let mounts slip off into floor-fives, knot almost every throw, snag constantly, can’t land something I’ve done a million times, etc.

When that’s the case I may try a different style or just put the throw away for the day

6 Likes

Right! One time this week I did something I’ve done a thousand times and got the largest, most intricate knot I’ve ever seen. It was the size of an acorn. I was more amazed than frustrated and my first thought was I gotta take a photo of it for the Forums (I never took the photo).

5 Likes

I’ve had bad hair days many times throwing…just some days I can’t hit a simple trick that I otherwise normally can pull off with ease. It’s definitely frustrating, one of those days you tell yourself to stop and do something else.

5 Likes

That’s why I love it when people leave mistakes in their videos or like when you posted some videos of your yoyo hitting the ground by accident. Not every trick video is a one-take. I know everyone here has bad days and struggles with some trick or certain element.

5 Likes

So very true. Honestly, I am more bound to struggle when filming. I’ll hit a trick over and over, will get the confidence to pull out the phone and then “camera fright” kicks in. I don’t film much these days as it’s not worth the stress nor is it worth the lack of views I get on Insta as the algorithm has changed since I used to frequently post. Every once in a while, I’ll use it just to share on here but otherwise, I’ve sort of given up on social media. I feel a lot happier just throwing and not sweating trying to show off the latest trick.

6 Likes

Yoyo days can be bad? Hmmm…I guess I haven’t thought of it like that :wink:. I do find that some days are way better yoyo days than others though. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

No, not really. Even when the super Samurai tried to kill me.

5 Likes

The ghost of social media. By scrolling the feeds you think they are all very organized, everything’s cleaned up, the kids don’t mess the flat up and yoyoing is effortless. But always keep in mind they just don’t post if it’s different. Or they just picture the only tidy spot in the room. Same with throwing. You don’t see all the misses and frustration of others. Keep that in mind and social media is more enjoyable.

6 Likes

You have hit the nail on the head. Real life that each of us lives can’t possibly compare to the social media highlight reels that are posted every day. We live every missed bind, crazy knot, disagreement with our significant other, dog pooping on the floor. Most who post on social media don’t show the real part of real life.

7 Likes