Ever had a bad yoyoing day?

Yeah. The only yoyo videos I watch are the ones posted here and 3-4 Youtube reviewers / teachers. I also loved the latest Scales. I only compare myself to me and try to get a little better every so often.

7 Likes

This is very wise. A friend once told me that when he was in seminary, one of his instructors was very fond of telling the students “to compare is to despair.” We are all on our own unique journeys, all going at our own paces…

5 Likes

This is too true!

My long time teammate is always “trying to be” some other fire performer( insert name with a unique style). He has to do their tricks the way that they do. Full on emulation. And as such over many years of this, I feel he lost bearing on what makes his style his.

Learn the tricks. Then make them yours. There is no comparison to you.

Ain’t no father to my style. I’m the ODB!

6 Likes

I love this. Perfect track for the edit.

4 Likes

Oh yeah. My days always start with “you’re way behind compared to everyone else. Why do you have these nice yo-yos when you can’t do some super complicated speed combo with like 8 whips and a regen?” It gets worse when I start working on a trick that should be easy for me but I have a complete block trying to translate the tutorials hand movements to my own.

Oh man when I first got into whips, that was a bad yo-yo day. Lots of busted up knuckles, no concept of left and right from tutorials, and no one mentions the very important specifics, at least in a way that makes sense to me. I’ve learned I’m no yo-yo master but I’m just here to have fun. Bruised knuckles and all.

8 Likes

When people give me crap about my expensive throws, I just point them in the direction of my Snap On Roll away… The big one.

9 Likes

SO completely relate with this

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: fingertips…

4 Likes

Time for you to do a video on those specifics to help out others like you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had this problem in spades at the beginning. Every tutorial ended with an extra trick that made the yoyo return. No explanation in any video of that last move, and they all did it- sometimes with a little variation. I could not figure it out.

What is this folding maneuver that kinda looks like you “pull the cord on the light” and the yoyo returns?
:smiling_imp:
Binds are greatly assumed knowledge in tutorials but are hardly mentioned by name. It was a while before I heard “do your preferred bind” to finish the trick.

6 Likes

Oh if only I was good at explaining. “You see when you throw the string, don’t just shoot for the middle bits, you ought to be out there in the front cause otherwise it’s gonna spit it out. And tilt your hand like, away from you but not too away.”

4 Likes

I haven’t had a bad yo-yo day ever. I will say I get upset when I’m trying to relax after a long day and throw but I keep getting interrupted by dumb things. That or when I almost break my nose learning something new.

4 Likes

For reference, I’ve only been throwing for roughly two months. Pretty much everything is difficult. I consider myself a slow learner (relative to others). This isn’t to put myself down, really, its just something I’ve come to terms with, so I just expect there to be days where I practice and seemingly make no progress at all with tricks. There’s a lot of those days, but in reality I know I’m still getting better. I really believe that its just time and practice, and if I get tired of throwing for a bit, I’ll set whatever yoyo down and do something else.

I feel this is a similar experience to competitive video games. There was a point when I was really frustrated but had this epiphany: “I’m just playing a game lol…” After all, this is just play - even on a competitive level. I consistently practice and actively try to get better but from a different frame, this is a skill toy and I don’t get like… frustrated at it to a degree where I get heated.

Except when I ding my throws on concrete. Or hit myself in the face with the 80g DreadG. That is a bad yoyo day.

6 Likes

What games were you into out of curiosity?

Ah…but think of the wild stories you’ll have to tell your grandkids! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My dad’s got 3 of those, I know exactly what you’re talking about :joy:

5 Likes

Yeah, I feel you. I thought I hadn’t gotten better at all since last year, and then I looked up my routine, I’ve definitely gotten better. :rofl:
Sometimes it’s better if you can’t see that you’ve gotten better, cuz then it comes as a wonderful surprise to find out you have!

3 Likes