Elliot/3aAllDay's Prototype

Elliot/3aAllDay’s Prototype

I needed a break from figuring out the best way to go about making an undersized, non-center weighted delrin so I decided to spend some time working on a yoyo idea Elliot/3aAllDay had. He’s a 3a player from the San Diego Yoyo Club who asked it I could make him a BSP shaped delrin, though wider – something super stable and rim weighted for 3a play. He specified a sharp angle from the rims to the response, which posed a bit of a weight problem – removing that much material would make it too light. So it seemed to me like a good opportunity to try out weight rings as a compromise to get close to his specifications without making it too much of a feather – at least for this first prototype. I also diverged from his plan in making the rims angled, rather than flat, so as to increase the effective catch area – again, at least for the proto. Came out very smooth.

Diameter: 56mm
Width: 40mm
Response: BC pad spacers
Axle: One Drop Brass inserts
Weight: 67g with rings, 64g without

That’s amazing! Where do you get the delrin from?

That is one HOT throw!!!

Thanks XminusmikeX! I’m curious to see what Elliot will think :). cbaxt98 - You can find acetal/delrin from a great many sources. I’m not sure it’s within the rules of YYE to post other websites though, so I’ll refrain from doing so here.

Now the real question is, what do you charge to make a delrin throw?

Elliot gets the hook up because he’s an SD thrower ;). But I also look at this as a neat opportunity to collaborate with a great player - I’ve already learned a lot through the process. I’ll post a short video later today so you guys can see it in action.

Oh sure, no love for the PA throwers :smiley:

That looks sick! :wink:

PA FTW :slight_smile:

you could sstart like a design a yo bussniess and hve the people pay for the yoyo they designed and you make you could make i website or do it in the bst!
it would be awesome i would do 1

I would definitely enjoy doing something like that. These take a good amount of time to make, and the idea of making 50 of the same seems like it would be very tedious to me. But doing projects with people would be a blast for me. I’m speaking with someone now about setting up a website. I’ll certainly post something about it if I do decide to do these for people. Thanks for the kind words everyone!

p.s. I’ll have a short video of it in action as soon as Vimeo finishes with it - it’s been like 6 hours now that I’ve been in line!

You could even not do 50 of the same yoyo. You could do mabye like 10, or even just 1 for the person. :slight_smile:

I might just have to ask you to make me a delrin New Breed. Always imagined that in delrin.

Elliot told me about that BSP at school, and I was pretty courious to see what came out of the project. That thing loks great!

Would you be able to mod custom YoYos for certain people for the right money. Because I would so do that.

Congratulations Jason! That looks really great!

Thanks guys! I am considering doing custom yoyos - I think that would be a lot of fun. But there are limitations to what I can make on a metal lathe. If I do decide to do so, I’ll certainly post something about it. For now, I’m going to continue honing my skills with the design for Elliot and the original I posted here - which needs some tweaking. I might also could be convinced to make one for Paolo if he buys me some Brach’s sugarfree starlight peppermints:

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/uRS0raPWMbGtNgIkH5Qae8bIG79-Ls3UZ172PiOTdpGJyzN46NUZxI2VQ0329ocKcVsfGsHhRMZhLAc2yaQJEeOgoFybOTYwZOW3J-xfAknW8pzqLFD0iSqz4CKyGK2owU-sAgkhSwPV5aek=s90

I’ll do it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again for the kind words guys. It really means a lot! After 9 hours of waiting on Vimeo to process my video, I decided to try youtube - took 3 minutes … Anywho, here’s that short vid just to show it in action. Seems like Rancid Milk is pretty popular these days, so I thought I’d throw that in for grins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIpIIdTKiI