Delrin Version 3

I just finished this guy up this evening, my third delrin design thus far.

Diameter: 49mm
Width: 42mm
Weight: 61g
Response: BC Pad Spacers

I began with the basic design of the Styker, but reduced the diameter and lengthened the width of the rims. I originally wanted to make the inner angle sharper, but the yoyo would have come out much too light – it’s already lighter than I was aiming for, which I will be altering by beefing up the rims more for the second version, which I plan to do tomorrow. I really, really like the way this play and just might have to do a run of them if there’s interest.

I think you could get a small company going here Jason.

I’d be tempted if these didn’t take so darn long to make. Maybe as I get more experience I’ll be able to pump them out faster … thanks for the kind words Paolo!

well you could hire some people to come and work for you. And that looks absolutely awesome. I always wanted to get a stryker, just because it has a really dynamic shape, that i really like. And metal yoyos aren’t really my thing because i have attendancey to ding them up pretty bad. But that delrin throw looks so amazing. If you started a business i would be the first one to pick one up!

The kind words are very much appreciated! And I’m with you - 90% of the time, I throw plastic.

really nice!! :). always a good job j-rod

Once again, a may zing. These things are art.

Thanks guys! Really kind of you to say that Troy(oyo

thats just plain epic. and by the way, what size are BC pads? are they compatible with other pads? And if you did make a run, how much would you sell them for? they look amazing.

Paul Yath of Crucial produces some spacers that take a variety of pads. I’ve been using Ghost pads in these delrins, but you can use whatever. Here’s a pic of the spacers installed in the yoyo:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k74/rigo311/PA220075.jpg

Not sure how much I’d look to get for them, but given how much delrins have gone for, I’m thinking the $55-ish range would be a fair price.

cool!

:o Amazing!

I haven’t had time these past few days to work more on these, but I will soon. Thanks for the kind words guys!

I actually have a question about you doing an actual run of these. Do you have an idea of how much they would cost? Thanks.

The short answer is likely between $50 and $65.
The longer answer is that I don’t feel that I’ve come up with a design that genuinely needs to be made, with the exception of the proto I’m working on for Elliot, which represents an idea that someone has thought about and would like to make a reality. If and when I come up with an idea for a delrin that is genuinely different from what is already available, then I’ll consider producing it. The other issue is that these take a good amount of time to make, as they are done by hand on a metal lathe. The idea of doing 50 or more of the same thing really doesn’t appeal to me, unless it’s something that I feel very strongly fits a need or gap in the range of yoyos already available. All of which is to say that I have reservations about making something just for the sake of making something.

You would have to do runs though, you could make a few, say 10, start selling, once those sell out, put people on a waiting list. Do them individually. This system sounds good on paper, possibly in practice?

It’d be pretty tedious for him. He told me that they make a while to make.

If I can come up with an idea that I feel strongly about - that isn’t just a delrin version of something else - then I would most certainly consider doing something like this. It might also make sense to come up with a design that I’m happy with, let the SD Yoyo Club test it out and help me perfect it, and then make them on an order by order basis.