Eggnog

I think we always were discussing eggnog (or chocolate…)

You know Jim as well?

Eggnog rates way up there with fruit cake as the two greatest holiday prank gifts! Wait…you people actually enjoy eggnog? How’s that possible? Oh no!!! Maybe everyone I’ve given fruit cake and eggnog to over these many years has actually enjoyed it! How can that be? Might my pranking efforts, have backfired? NOOOOOOOO :’( .

Mmmmmm, fruit cake!!!

OK abby, back on topic: EGGNOG

Well, I’m not on his Christmas card list or anything. His family attended the same church as I and they had a singles Christmas gathering at their house. This is like twenty five years ago. My roommate and I at the time picked up some cottage cheese from a rival dairy in Omaha and snuck it into their refrigerator. They were not at all amused. They came real close to kicking us to the curb for that little prank.

Oh, I’m off topic again. What other things do you all mix with your eggnog for variety?
(Other than bourbons and other alcohol I mean.)

Barking brilliant

1 Like

^
|
I’m not even surprised by this anymore we have one of the derailing bandits right here First he got us on the topic of chocolate and now this. Bravo! He strikes 2 times in one day!

reward: for putting him to justice
10 strings

Being able to instantly drag a thread off topic is quite the impressive feat.Banjo sure gets kudos for that. :slight_smile:

Now wait a minute… I ended my last post with another question about eggnog preparation just so I would not be guilty of another complete derail. I had to answer Q’s question and brag about my mischievous stunt. Can’t you see, I had too.

Now, does anyone actually have a favorite recipe for making your own eggnog rather than just buying some from the store?

(see, back on track.)

I’ve really gained a bad reputation here.

I don’t know of anyone who drinks eggnog in the UK, (I reckon some places sell it around Christmas but it’s not really part of British Christmas tradition), but I’ve seen it a few times on American TV. What does the stuff taste like?

It’s like milk ,but creamier and sweeter.

I’ll only drink eggnog if it has nutmeg.

I honestly have no idea what goes into making eggnog. Johnthejwolfe is right, it contains heavy cream and sugar and one assumes eggs in some measure. As Yonut inferred, there are usually an ample dose of spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon and such. Many people use it as a mixer with liquors such as rum or bourbons or something. (I don’t really know what they do as I don’t imbibe.) It’s kind of hard to describe if you’re not familiar with it. Many really enjoy it, others don’t care for it at all. I’ve only had store-bought, I have never met anyone who actually makes their own.

It’s GOOD stuff.

They can’t put eggs in eggnog anymore (at least the mass produced stuff) considering raw eggs are linked to various diseases, and the FDA really cracks down on things of that sort.

Man that sucks you know what we do now? Make our own for the eggnog!

I think it’s made of eggs and buttermilk. I’m guessing.I’m not sure ,but it still tastes simply wonderful.

Well it’s cooked in some fashion isn’t it. You put eggs in homemade ice cream, but you cook it before you freeze it. (Except down at Sam & Ella’s Cafe. They just stir 'em in raw.)

Eggnog, or egg nog, is a sweetened dairy-based beverage traditionally made with milk and/or cream, sugar, and whipped eggs (which gives it a frothy texture).

I make my holiday cakes with eggnog instead of water, and my family seems to LOVE it! I also used to dip my Twinkies in it…

Yea ,used too… no more twinkies. :-\