EDC Yoyo knife/tool

If im at home, i keep it on the table next to where I throw, If im on the run, I have a certain dreadlock that is safe to keep something like that in, so long as I remember its there!

So, I couldnā€™t quit thinking about this:

So, I found the Maxpedition 3x5 pouch, which is listed with the dimensions of: 4"(L) x 1.5"(W) x 3"(H), for $23.

It has a zippered outer pocket, an open outer sleeve pocket, and then one main zippered compartment that has two elastic pockets, one on each side. The back is PALS webbing for versatile attachment options, and it has a snap loop too, for hooking on a lanyard, carabiner, etc I suppose. I didnā€™t say it in the original post, but if youā€™ve never seen Maxpedition stuff in person before, its all really well made. More well made than you need for a yoyo kit, but its always nice to handle well made stuff, I think.

I can hold about the same amount of stuff in it as the original pouch, with the addition of a yoyo. Itā€™s not roomy with the yoyo in it, but its not over stuffed either. The only time it really got a bit tight was when I put a bunch of strings in the side pocket. I probably only need 2 in the pocket at most at any time I guess, so I wonā€™t complain that its not perfect with a half dozen spares. :slight_smile:

So here it is with a somewhat big Skyva (58x45mm) and a 10ml bottle of lube in the main compartment. Bearings in one inner pocket, strings in the other. Tools in the outer zipper pocket as before:

And here is a slightly smaller but full sized OneDrop (57mm x 43mm), and a large 1oz bottle of lube in the main compartment, and that works well too.

So there you go nerds :slight_smile: ā€¦ another option for your carrying of things inside of other things joy. And Iā€™ll keep doing the research so you donā€™t have to (and because I canā€™t help it 8) ).

Glad to see Iā€™m not the only one.

1 Like

I do not need another bag, butā€¦
Seeing those photos makes me want to start looking.

I would look into a knife with a Marlin spike. :slight_smile: Thereā€™s only one that I could think of on a modern knife (Spyderco Tusk), otherwise theyā€™re all traditional slip joints.

What is that green yoyo?

I have never seen a Spyderco but for far less money (under $40) you can get a Victorinox Swiss knife.

OP said they thought the Victorinox would be overkill, which is why I suggested a traditional slip joint with marlin spike combo ($10-40, depending on brand). Or the more modern Spyderco Tusk, though they run $200+. Spydercos are great though.

Ha! Nice.

So, while the 3x5 pouch was okay, it really didnā€™t make sense for me personally.

I usually have either just 1 yoyo in my pocket, or I want my supplies and more than one yoyo, so that pouch was no real benefit to me beyond the original tools-only pouch.

Conveniently I have internal pockets in my daily shoulder bag where I can stash a couple yoyos to keep them from clattering around with all the other garbage I carry, so that + the original Barnacle pouch worked okay.

But I was curious to see what this other pouch was like, that I saw when researching the last update.

This is the Maxpedition 4x6, the next step up from the 3x5:

Available for only $2-$4 more than the 3x5, depending on color and availability:

The break down is pretty much the same aside from size. One unsecured outer pocket, one zippered outer pocket, two elastic pockets internal. Main compartment: 5.25"(L) x 2"(W) x 3.75"(H)
So, the two inside pockets easily hold several dime-bags of spare bearings and some response pads on side, and a half dozen strings on the other.

The main compartment generously holds 1-4 yoyos, and Iā€™ve been carrying 4, double stacked, even with a big bottle of lube between them.

A double stack takes them right up to the top, but its not difficult to close. Actually I like that arrangement, because it keeps everything snug, and there is nothing to worry about if you stack two metals on one another. there isnā€™t much room to move around and slam into each other.
You can see how nice and cozy the bottom of the stack is here:

So while this is not everyoneā€™s definition of EDC, it works well for me. This way rather than look in my shoulder bags various pockets to see if I have what I want (usually at least one plastic for outside, and whatever metal or two Iā€™m into that week) I can just keep the pouch stocked, and throw that in when I leave in the morning. I also play out in my yard a lot, especially when Iā€™m grilling dinner etc, so I can just grab the pack and take it to the yard and have a couple options, my tools, etc, so I donā€™t have to come in if I need a new string, need to change a bearing, switch yoyos, pick a knot, etc. Same goes for travel. Just throw the 4pack in my saddle bags or luggage, and not have to worry about it, and then when I want to play, Iā€™ll have some options, and anything else I need.

Anyway. Its fun to put things inside of other things. :stuck_out_tongue:

Incidentally, Iā€™ll probably be putting the 3x5 on ebay now, unless anyone wants to snatch it up.

Oh, and today its filled with a new arrival too, and its really awesome! . . .Ā  Iā€™ll have to update the Mail Delivery thread later.Ā  8)

I just added a couple of these Fluke Probe Pics to my EDC (yo-yo bags), mostly for string picking. There is a small plastic coated metal probe under the cap with just enough metal exposed to probe only the area you are after.Ā  At about $10 each they do exactly what they are designed to do to very well and that is probe, move, or separate small telephone wires in tight punch blocks (or yo-yo string stuck in a yo-yo gap).

I take a pen and replace the ink part with a kabob stick so It still opens and closes for a string pick. It works good.

1 Like

Several suggestions i this thread:

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,92641.msg1018943.html#msg1018943

Also google:Ā  Unknown Slice, and MIYO Multi Tool

The Miyo is my favorite multi tool, though the spike in the above thread is still the best pick Iā€™ve ever found, despite it being less convenient to carry in a pocket.

1 Like

Oops, I see you already mentioned the Slice, sorry, missed that. :slight_smile:

Definitely check out the miyo though. :wink:

I like those plastic picks, Tarkin!

I just use the end of a zip tie.
Surprisingly effective.

1 Like

They all seem like good tools. I think the biggest things that make tools work is availability, ease of use, and multi tasking. Most seem to be looking for that one multi tool that is easy to carry and easily performs the tasks at hand. I actually have a pocket knife with a well designed fish scaler that is my personal answer to a sonic screw driver and it works great for pulling string.

That said telecom wire prob pics are so purposely designed to pull, spread, and separate small wires, if you are ever get a chance to use one to pull string out of a yo-yo, you will be impressed. The issue is they are a bit of an unitasker and availability/easy carry is questionable. I ordered some extras for my yo-yo kits because my pocketknife is not always appropriate and they are not likely to be rejected by the TSA, etc (could be wrong there). And I donā€™t mind handing a probe pic to younger kids to pull string.

Also the next time someone goes off to design the next best yo-yo multi-tool ever created, they should really get a few different telecom probe pics for research.

Thanksā€¦

So I have much better knives, but I carry this pocket knife my oldest son got me for fathers day years ago, because of the one tool that I use everyday. The fish scaler. Shown positioned next to a sonic screw driver, and both ends of Fluke prob pics for reference.

I just use the non-shapened side of my standard pocketknife to pick out strings. Failing that, Iā€™m rarely somewhere that I couldnā€™t find a zip tie, toothpick or something.

Toothpick on a Swiss Army knife works good too.

The mini Swiss Army Knife works great. I have the tooth pick to pick at the string, the scissors to cut the string and the blade to cut my finger.