Duncan Torque vs Shutter

Hey guys,
Just wondering what everyone’s opinion was on the above? Duncan torque of yyf shutter? I’ve currently got the torque but have been offered a shutter. Is it worth getting or should I stick with the duncan?
Interested to hear your thoughts.
Cheers

Shutter :wink:

As Duncans go the Torque is certainly one of their higher end yoyos. There’s a guy who throws at our local yoyo club who has one and he really seems to like it.

The Shutter is also a very nice yoyo and you would never regret having one.

The biggest difference I see is that the Torque uses the friction stickers for response pads and they tend to wear out quickly, although the silicon pads last much longer. The better silicon friction stickers are quite often sold out and can sometimes be difficult to find. My grand daughter has a Duncan Metal Drifter which uses the same pads and she’s worn out 3 of the non-silicon sets in one year.

The Shutter uses a silicon response ring which seem to always be available. I’ve had my Shutter for almost a year and I haven’t needed to replace them yet.

So while they’re both nice yoyos, I would tend towards the Shutter.

I have both. The Shutter is a great yoyo but for me and my style the Torque throws better and feels better. I am not that good at throwing, but, I feel I can complete more tricks with the Torque.

I would say that the Shutter is a better overall yoyo, especially for competition. The Torque is really light and floaty, imo, and I don’t really like the shape. Of course, this is all preference and it’s up to you.

The Torque does NOT use friction stickers like the Metal Drifter. It uses normal 19mm pads, and although those pads aren’t that great, you could replace them with whatever kind you want. I’d say stick with the Torque but that’s just me. I really like it lol

Torque is definitely a great choice for competition.  I think James Reed used it in this freestyle:

You can’t go wrong with either.  I prefer the Torque-it’s more unique in my opinion.

EDIT: Skimmed over your original question.  I’d keep it.  :slight_smile:

1 Like

I own both. They’re kind of like comparing apples and oranges. Shutter is a comfy H-shape, Torque is powerful and fast-moving V shape. You really can’t go wrong with either one (or both).

And second that, Torque comes with standard 19mm pads. They do their job and when it wears down you can easily replace it with other pads or do the DIY approach and use flowable silicone.

Thank you for the clarification, that’s good to know. I apologize for putting incorrect information out there.