Duncan red response pads (on an Exit 8 in this case) duration

I’ve used a new Duncan Exit 8 for probably about 10-20 hours total since I got it. It’s been a favorite. I just picked it up today and noticed the binds aren’t grabbing the way they used to. I thought about changing the pads, but just put a thicker string on to fix it and it’s fine. Question is, could the pads be worn out already? I’ve actually never worn out pads. The only ones I have ever replaced were because of damage.

Do the red pads wear fast? I prefer thinner string, but use Nytro and similar on certain throws that are either wide or slippy for some reason.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever had to change the Duncan reds. They seem to hold up really well

2 Likes

You use a pretty normal weight string too, right? Not sure why mine started slipping.

1 Like

Yeah I use normal bulk stuff.

2 Likes

I was told once that factory pads wear out faster because usually they sit on a shelf for awhile before they are installed, then they get installed and sit more. The theory is they “dry out.”

I’m not sure how true that is, but the only pads I’ve had to replace were factory pads. One set on my Yomega Glide which came unstuck, and another on a Magic Yoyo which tore in half on a bad bind. I replaced them with YYF whites and never had another issue.

I have never had to replace aftermarket pads though, ever…

2 Likes

I had to replace my Duncan reds a month into owning a freehand 1al, get the white and change them out they last.

3 Likes

Update: Changed the pads and the bind was still slippy. Switched to a poly regular weight string (aka Kitty FC fat) and the binds were fine. I think the other string was worn out. I forgot that even though boutique strings last longer, they don’t last forever. Should have swapped the string first.

3 Likes

Swapping out the string is usually the first thing I do when the yoyo starts playing different.

1 Like