New yoyo, bad response pads

I recently bought a duncan Skyhawk and today is my first time using it. The first thing I noticed with my first throw was how grippy the response was, so grippy that after 2 minutes and one less than desirable bind later, the pads were ripped off. The glue is flaky and dry. My question is what can cause this to happen. The package says 2014 so it could be old pads, but I honestly don’t know. So any info would be nice. Thanks

1 Like

This would be my guess. Sorry you’re having issues.

2 Likes

It’s not really a problem, I also got a pack of 12 sets of response pads in the mail along with it. I’m just slightly hurt, not even my metal yoyo has hurt me this hard, and it has hit me in the face. But I’ll probably get more hurt when I go outside and actually start practicing 4a.

2 Likes

Yeah there is definitely an added element of danger with 4A

1 Like

It’s weird you mention this problem. I bought a Skyhawk a number of months ago and brand new out of package had the same issue. One response pad wasn’t attached correctly. I pulled it out and replaced. It was a bummer that it came like that, but since pads are a consumable I got over it.

Maybe it’s a manufacturing issue. Out of curiosity, what color is the yoyo?(mine was blue)

1 Like

Mine is also blue
Was it also some what difficult to remove the residue as well?

1 Like

No, it came off fairly easy. Quick and painless. Granted, I had a spare pad.:wink:

Lucky, I had to use alcohol to get the old glue off, it took a few minutes. Also it became the first 19 mm yoyo pads I’ve changed. Lucky that the pads on my freehand nextgen were worn out and had ordered a pack of pads. My freehand nextgen was my second 19mm yoyo pad swap. Also red pads don’t last long do they.

1 Like

Nah, red pads(at least Duncan’s) are the competition pads. Supposed to break in fast to get that “sweet spot”, but not long lasting.

Yeah… they only lasted a few months of casual use.

1 Like