Duncan Drifter with KK

Hey Everybody!
I was thinking to get a Duncan Drifter: Only because its a Metal Yoyo thats only worth Pocket Change. But, If I got one, How would it play with a KK Bearing? I have a KK Bearing in my FH2, but If i got a Drifter, I would just put the KK in my Drifter. But, Before I got one, I wanted to know how they played. So if anybody has a Drifter, KK or No KK, Let me know how they play.
Thanks!
-Cody Wright

Eew. A konkave.

What?
I usually dont like KK bearings either, but its better then a Duncan Bearing.

Clean the Duncan bearing and it’s perfect

2 Likes

kk is the way to go…

Stock bearing is the way to go.

1 Like

I have a Drifter, put one Duncan Sili pad in and clean/dry the bearing and it plays dead unresponsive. I also, for giggles, put my size-A CT bearing in it and it does play nice, just not needed.

I love this yoyo. I just ordered a kk bearing for it and som chaz pads to try out as well as difpads. But for right now if you clean out the duncan bearings and add yyj thin lube to it its still pretty cool (duncan bearings are just to vibey in my opinion). Just for kicks I took out my mosquitos spacers and clean yyj thin lubed bearing and put them in my drifter and added the drifer bearing. So small spacer - bearing - bearing - small spacer. I got half a bearing wider on the gap and it was siiiiick!!! Plus the 2 bearings together kind of made a track for the string and it was 10 times smoother. So I’m getting a kk for it and throw in some o rings to widen the gap. Try out different pads and last because it is recessed I want to try flowable sili to see which one I like better. I’m also using type 6 string because it helps make it unresponsive and type 8 snags to much and is way to resposive for its stock gap. This yoyo is a modding dream. Make it the way you want it and play with different settings and it ranks right up there with the best metals ( in all fairness to other metals the drifter takes a little modding to get there but it definately gets there). Remember its all about preference. Have fun.

KK bearings can make the yoyo MORE snaggy. When you put this into a yoyo that is already snaggy as al heck you get a terrible combination. I don’t reccomend it it all. My Drifter plays absolutely fine with the cleaned stock bearing.

I agree that KK bearings can make a yoyo more snaggy, but usually only silicone recessed/flush, unresponsive yoyos (or any case where you’re worried about the KK bringing strings into contact with each other).

In other cases I disagree, a KK can be great for making a yoyo less snaggy (e.g. a KK will keep the string away from the starburst and o-ring in a Dark Magic).

I don’t have a Metal Drifter, but with the flush friction stickers I would guess the difference would be minimal, so I don’t see much point in a KK. However, do what fits your preferences! You can always swap it out.

keep in mind that for the price of the drifter with a kk, you could get a Northstar (with a centertrac). I am not going to say which is better, but just keep that in mind. But if you already have a small KK, go for it.

Okay then I’ll say it.

NORTHSTAR IS BETTER

^Why?

We have established 6,000,000 times before, with YOU contributing to such conclusions, that no yoyo is simply BETTER than any other. It is a matter of preference. It’s always a matter of preference.

ok ok…I had to stop throwing (been throwing for 3 1/2 hours) to write this down. got my kk in the mail today with some new highlights and my pads as described before. I first put in the difpads cuz I wanted to try them out first. then threw in the kk bearing which sounded funny on a finger flick but away I go. sounded horrible and it was suuuuuper snaggy. could almost pass for a looping yoyo. ouch. I figured something was wrong. inspected the pads…ok. inspected spacers…ok. inspected kk bearing…problem. It had like some thick lube in it (dont know why) and it had dirt all over the sides of it. opened it up and it was DIRTY. so I cleaned it with mineral spirits and dropped some yyj thin lube in it down a needle point. put it all together and OMG!!! It was DEAD unresponsive, a lot less noise, and a dream throw. no matter how much i tugged and tugged it would not come up but grabbed a bind like second nature. nice and tight. ive been doing all sorts of slacks and whips and I even did 3 kwijibos on a single throw with plenty to bind back. oh my god im having so much fun. cleaned the stock bearing and put that in and it had a lot less time on the string and snagged a lot less but the kk beats it hands down. plus I think the difpads made a huge difference. there more flush then the duncan sili pads so being thicker i thought it would snag more but nope. but as it stands right now I had a hard time putting this yoyo down just to write this. Its perfect now.

Because, Northstar sleeps longer than Drifter, is more stable than Drifter, and is less snaggy than Drifter due to a large bearing.

Now, before we start a war about preference, what I mean is that Northstar will play better to an experienced player. For instance, if 1 person tries sleeping both the yoyos and clocking them, Northstar will sleep longer. But, if an unexperienced player sleeps a Northstar against an expereinced players Drifter, Drifter can still sleep much longer because it’s the player who makes it sleep that long.

So for someone just starting out, Drifter might be an excelent choice.
Besides, most yoyos can do most anything you throw at it, up to a certain point.
Once you get to a certain level in yoyoing, you may need something with just a little extra spin time to get you through your tricks.

It seems like you want the drifter, so get one. It will play fine with a stock bearing. Rather than asking the question here, and getting a number of conflicting answers, why don’t you just put the KK you have in there and see for yourself how it plays with a KK.

I second this. Chaz Pad/Broad K-pads. woot.