Duncan Metal Drifter w/KK Bearing Review by CodyJam

Opening:
This is a $20 Metal Yoyo. The Cheapest Metal Yoyo to Ever Hit the Market. I just had to get my Hands on One of these. Especially since this Yoyo was at Toys R’ Us. I just couldn’t Resist going to Buy One. I got the Silver and Blue one. When I opened it up, I replaced the Regular Duncan Bearing with a Duncan Sized KK Bearing, and I was Ready to Throw it!

First Thoughts:
SUPER Smooth! This thing was Incredibly Smooth. Its actually Pretty Stable too. It slept for about 1 Minute. The Longest Throw I could get on it was about 25 Seconds. It does have Very Little Vibe. But So Far it is Great.

Play:
Like I said, Really Smooth. Its Pretty Stable too. It Rarely Tilts. Its actually pretty Floaty too. It has like a Shape similar to the DNA. Its a Full Metal, with Smooth Wings. It does Nice with Grinds, but Grinds on this Yoyo are a little Vibey. It Sleeps Pretty good when you break it in. Maybe around like 2 Minutes. This Yoyo can do 4a and 5a Very Well too. It Performs Really Nice. just as Good as good as an 888 on Performance. It can handle a Ton of Tricks you throw at it, Actually Most Tricks you Throw at it it will Handle. I am So Surprised How Great This Yoyo is! I Mean, It has Slowly Turned into my Main 1A Throw! No Joke! Its Great!

Pros:
-Smooth
-Stable
-Sleeps Long
-Quiet Player
-Great for All Styles, Even Some 2A
-Performs Amazing
-Only $20
-Can Buy at Local Toy Stores

Cons:
-Sometimes Snags
-Tends to Snap back during Advanced String Tricks
-It has Some Vibe, Especially on Grinds

Pics:

http://www.yoyoz.co.uk/catalog/images/drifter%20yoyo/bluepack.jpg

Ending:
I just Can’t Stop Playing with This Yoyo! I am Completely In Love with it! It Plays and Performs Great! And the Fact that I Only got it for $20 at Toys R’ Us, Only Makes it an Even Better Deal! I am Currently Using it for 1A and 5A. Thanks for Reading this Review! Any Thoughts and Tips would be Well Appreciated! Thanks! :wink:
-Cody Wright

for me this yoyo is like a metal zero but, with less weight on the sides it is great for beginners and a great looking yoyo in all great review dude.

My only question for you is, how can you say that it is “SUPER smooth” and “Incredibly Smooth” but then later say that it is “a little vibey especially on grinds”? I am just saying that that is a polar contradiction, something you might want to make sure you prevent in future reviews. Other than that great job, keep it up :smiley:

Great review. I think any yoyo will play 10x better with a kk. Imo ill pay the extra 5 doll hairs and get a third POPstar though

I agree about the contradictions. You say it’s smooth, then you say it’s vibey. You say it sleeps for 1 minute, then you say the longest throw you could get was 25 seconds, then you say it sleeps for 2 minutes. You say it’s great for 1A and sleeps a long time, but then you say it’s good for 2A, too. You need to give an honest, consistent review.

Also, this really doesn’t concern the quality of the review, but it drives me CRAZY: Your use of capitalization. You capitalize at least half of the words in every sentence, and that’s completely unnecessary. Of course, no one, including myself, uses perfect grammar, punctuation, or sentence structure on these forums, but your capitalization is a bit excessive. Sorry, it’s just a pet-peeve of mine.

Smooth Yoyos can have Vibe. My Yuuksta is Really Smooth, but it does have Vibe to it. Vibe doesn’t mean that its not Smooth, it just means that it vibrates a little. A Yoyo ca still be Really Smooth and have Vibe.

I don’t see how the vibe doesn’t detract from the smoothness.
Unless of course you are referring to the finish of the yoyo then I could see it. However I don’t think that’s the case.
If it’s vibrating, then it’s not smooth. In my eyes at least.

You must not quite understand what smooth means. A smooth playing yo-yo is one that has no vibe. If a yo-yo is vibey, that means it’s not smooth. You can have a yo-yo that plays mostly smooth, but still has an occasional vibe, but that still doesn’t make that yo-yo totally smooth.

I Have been Yoyoing for 2 Years, and i Have been on the Forum for Over 1 Year. Of Course I know what a Smooth Yoyo Means. It IS Possible to have a Smooth, but Vibey yoyo. I understand what your coming from though. If a Yoyo has a lot of Vibe, its not smooth, but what Im talking about is Very Little Vibe that some Players Probably Won’t be able to tell that it has Vibe, but Really Advanced Players would be able to tell.

Evidently, you don’t. The length of time you’ve been yo-yo’ing and/or how long you’ve been on this forum have absolutely zero bearing on your concept/understanding of smoothness vs. vibe. Look up the definition of smooth, then look up the definition of vibration. You can have a somewhat/occasional/mostly smooth playing yo-yo with occasional/light vibe, but you can NOT label a yo-yo as “super/really/incredibly” smooth if you’re going to turn around and say that it’s vibey. You’re contradicting yourself, period. Sure, this might all seem to be semantics, but if you’re going to write reviews, be consistent. You wanted feedback, I gave it. Take it or leave it.

1 Like

I’m going to have to agree with them Cody. Smooth does not equal vibe.

Thank You, Q. :wink:

actually if it is vibrating how could it be a smooth throw. To me the metal drifter is not too smooth because it is not that heavy and weight is not directed to the sides of the yoyo making this yoyo not to stable. It is bad for grinds having no lip. In all this to me is like a metal zero. This yoyo is not so smooth dude compared to a meteor or a AI