Dont quit yoyoing because of jerks. (A rant for yoyoers, especially new ones)

le meme arrows

1 Like

do u browse 4chan too?

im trying to be serious here -_-

I’ve been yoyoing for about a year now, and I’m in college so I have a lot of free time on my hands so I try to throw as much as possible. I’ve never had anyone make rude comments to me about it, usually people are impressed and think the tricks are crazy. Maybe it’s because people have matured past bullying now that they’re out of middle/high school? I dont know, I just felt like sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

So true, and so sad. I throw on the regular and I don’t really get harassed at all, but I’m almost 30. But… my little sister is 16 and in high school, and I can tell she really digs it, but since its not the “cool thing” to do she refuses to get into it. I told her to be a trend setter and ignore what others say but I just can’t convince her that it’s not a big deal. Her friends do harass me a little bit but its all in fun, I harass them all the time. Maybe one day she will learn. People don’t realize that once u graduate u will never see 90% of those people again.

You shouldn’t be…

They never know how life works, they’re simply just jealous on a yoyoer’s skills…

I never give a D*** on them, except that person is my mom / dad. Luckily my parents never complaint :slight_smile:

This is a great motivational post for fellow younger throwers in school that have non-yoyo folk looking down at a yoyoer.

But.

What about your fellow brethen, fellow yoyoers that put you down for your yoyoing? How are you suppose to react? How are you suppose to feel? What of when they put you down?

I’ve had this happen to me. People I looked up to in this community seceretly treating you like a joke.

Just raising a point…

~Z

That sucks, Zammy. I haven’t had to worry about it yet because I am terrible. I don’t expect anyone to take my yoyoing seriously. :wink:

But it’s easy enough to project oneself into a situation in which one’s peers are scornful of one’s efforts. And that’s not a good feeling at all. Sorry you’ve had to experience that, and I have no good advice. Just that you have an obvious track record of accomplishments; just as we don’t need to take non-yoyo naysayers seriously, we don’t need to take it from other yoyoers, either. What do they know?

It’d be nice if we all supported one another, but those who would bring us down are found in all kinds of places. We need to treat the negative opinions of yoyoers with no more gravity than the opinions of yuggles.

1 Like

I read a report where they found that the biggest bullying deterrent was when others spoke out against the behavior rather than just sit back and watch it happen.

I will name a name if I have to but y’all probably know who a big culprit in the yoyo community is… Everyone: don’t let that slide, speak out, those people need to be called out for what it is that they are doing: small-minded bullying.

Wow!!!

How inspirational!!!

Don’t let people get you down?? Thanks!!! That cured everything!!!

Why are you being insulting?

LizF, I can understand frustration with what seems to be futile advice. On the other hand, you’ve just belittled people who are trying to help and I hope the irony of that hasn’t escaped you.

Coping with negative forces that are largely out of our control is actually a life skill that can and should be developed. It’s easy to say “it’s those jerks out there, it’s not me… they’re the ones who need to change, not me!” but that’s not very realistic. Learning to identify scenarios that we shouldn’t take to heart is only one step; internalizing the truth that we shouldn’t be affected and allowing ourselves to not be affected is another, and it’s one that takes more than recognition-- it takes practice.

How many times was I inconsolable because someone did not return my love for them? A lot. But in every case, it’s not anybody’s fault that the love wasn’t returned. Once I could recognize this fact, it became increasingly easy to just “let it go” and move on, until at some point my reaction was simply, “Drat. Bummer. Well, good luck, then!”

That didn’t mean that I had dulled my emotions in general. I’m still about as sensitive as a guy can get. I didn’t need to sacrifice “who I am” in order to develop the ability to deal with that kind of scenario.

Bullying is something you can action on: bullying should be reported and talked about. It’s that simple. But doing so still doesn’t change your feelings inside, and those need to be addressed as well. You are not in control of other people saying negative things about you, and you should also recognize that you don’t want the friendship of those people anyhow. This recognition stage is a skill; “but, I DO want their friendship or respect” is a hard feeling to shake. And we think we can control their feelings about us by what… being cooler? Knowing the right things to say? Impossible. Can’t do that.

With those things recognized, the next step is to truly internalize that it’s a waste of our energy to allow ourselves to be hurt by such scenarios, too. It takes time and practice, but eventually (sooner for some than others) you genuinely think to yourself, “Wow, that was weird. Can’t believe someone would want to be negative towards someone else” and even when that “someone else” is YOU, you don’t take it on.

So yes, I do think it’s helpful and well-intentioned advice. I suspect you or someone you know has been a victim of the kind of bullying that nobody should have to go through, and I feel for you. It’s gotta be aggravating when it seems like someone is saying “Easy! Ignore it!” when you know the truth is that it’s not easy.

But I don’t think that’s necessarily what people are recommending, and nor are they saying it’s easy. Just that it’s possible. With time and the right tools, you can indeed find yourself less hurt and less affected by what a few misguided people might choose to say.

1 Like

Wrong time for your sarcasm Liz, even though your full of awesome.

Its not a big deal about what I said as more so I was providing such a idea that it happens INSIDE our community as well. And how one is suppose to handle such events. To be honest its easier to handle negative vibes outside of the community because they are merely Yuggles, but inside the community, its a whole other ball game.

I’ve had this happen multiple times and its something I will never-ever-forget. And whats even more horrible is how those people did not apologize nor even think that what they said was bad! Obviously its a chip on my shoulder… I’ve pretty much now have it “Forgive but not forget”.

At the same time though I am no angel. I’ve treated people badly in this community but I do try to own-up and apologize to anything bad I do.

I just know that the feeling between Yuggles vs Peers is way different.

What is said is often not what is meant. People say and do negative things for various reasons, gain an edge, need to posture a bit, impress, save face, who knows really but it all comes down to hiding short comings and insecurities and occassionally someone is just mean. Some actually enjoy causing others pain.

Here’s the thing, we are more tuned into the negative than the positive. Negative words directed at us, affect us to a greater extent than positive words. I bet you can rather quickly recall the last 3 negative things that were said to you. Can you recall 3 positive things as quickly? We give negative thoughts and words to much power. We can’t forget them because of the emotional hold we allow them to have. It takes practice to see through those words, to do the detective work as to why those words were directed at us and to lessen their hold on us.

Let’s face it, you can try to climb to the top three different ways:

1. Knock people down, and climb to the top on the carnage you create.
  2. Reach down, help someone up, reach up and let someone help you up.
  3. Go it alone.

The first seems more natural for some than the later.

Are we saying that our comments are the new found way to never be hurt by others or that they will eliminate pain or rejection? No because that’s part of life. Its important not to let that pain or rejection cripple your own growth. Its even more important not to let others meaningless opinions change who you want to be and what you want to do. Its easier said then done but your immature comment was completely pointless. You didnt bother adding anything helpful you just trolled on in, bash what others said and left.

The more you think about douches like that the more they win.
You empower them by acknowledging their presence.
Ignore it and walk away.

Douches?

Lol Google it :slight_smile:

[replying to the first post of this topic]

dude,
people have no clue what modern yoyo is today, just let em talk, if they come near you, you know what to do, you’re the one with a hi speed metal yoyo, you’re basically Hulk vs little chipmunks …lol

seriously, having no hobby is what i would call: no life. a kid just bored with friends that does nothing best but criticizing others who actually have a life and something to do with his friends.

show em Yoyo Swag and tell them to suck you mighty fingers if they feel worthy enough.

1 Like