Does string length effect string tension?

I’ve just been thinking about of how long a string is effects tension. Seems like if the string is longer than it would take more twists to give it significant tension because there’s more string. I haven’t tested this or anything I just want to hear your thoughts.

3 Likes

I have never actually tested this but I also assume that the long your string the more twist required to create decent tension. The easiest way to test this though would be to take specific length of string, put it on a looping yoyo, and count how many loops you can do before it unwinds itself (obviously start with the string tension neutral). Then get a new string (new, for consistency) and cut it 5 inches longer or shorter, and repeat. The difference in the number of loops should be the amount of half rotations per five inches of string.

2 Likes

i’d think you need to correct it more often with short string, and it seems like with long string you have more room to disperse the tension.

4 Likes

I agree, but also adjust your string tension a lot when you first put on the a new string, this will help with string tension in the future, what do I mean but the future you might ask, well you will find that the tension will hold way better as the string gets older

1 Like

Good to know.

1 Like

After a catch, does anyone alternate between turn the yoyo left in the hand, turn the yoyo right in the hand before the next throw?