Does OD purposefully not make bimetals?

Not implying that they should make bimetals, but I wonder how well their first bimetal would sell :face_with_monocle:

I would buy 6. You think I’m joking. I’ve been waiting for it since 2014. And then when they teased a bimetal which never ended up getting released.

I’m still waiting. I’m still hoping

1 Like

One Drop doesn’t make bi metals because they know I don’t really like bi-metals!

2 Likes

I’d buy one just to have the first OD bimetal, I bet it’d be nothing less than amazing.

After all this time WHEN they release one it better be the GOAT :joy:

1 Like

Actually, someone else can confirm it, but I think 7068 might be stronger than titanium. That’s what’s claimed anyway.

Well; think of it this way. One Drop has never made a bad yoyo.

Many years have gone by and they have yet to make a lemon/design.

So based on Company history; I would say ‘if’ they ever did come out with a bi-metal yoyo. You can be absolutely confident that they wouldn’t release one unless it was thoroughly field tested.

So it would be good. And it would sell out with a quickness.

I heard a fairy tale one day; that One Drop doesn’t make bi-metal yoyos because they just don’t know how to design one.

I think the only day to actually say something like that is on April 1st.

2 Likes

One Drop actually manufactured what is probably one of the best bi metals of all time, the Death Robot MG. According to Kyle Weems, the designer of the Death Robot MG, One Drop was most likely the only machine shop skilled enough for the extremely tight tolerances his design required. Only reason I’ve heard from One Drop in regards to why they haven’t made a bi metal themselves is because the wish to keep yoyos very affordable, and that they can make equally well playing yoyos from one metal, for example, the VTWO and Valor.

10 Likes

Seriously. I got a VTWO and it spins just as long and is just as stable as any of my other bi-metals. I think they used magic.

4 Likes

Judging from my experience with OneDrop - if they made a bimetal under their own name, they would sell a great many few lol. Can’t beat OneDrop - there’s a reason why I been rockin wit them for all these years. Too much sauce.

7 Likes

One Drop’s stated reason for not making a bi-metal is that they can’t make one at (what they consider) a competitive price. They simply can’t compete with the Chinese on manufacturing costs, and so bringing a bi-metal to market means charging a premium they aren’t comfortable with.

4 Likes

I think it’s smart that they don’t. These days with design, and with their abilities in the machine shop, it’s unnecessary for one. BUT, imagine the backlash they’d get. They’re known for being a made in the USA product and being competitively priced, even low priced for what they make. Now they make a bimetal, that would most likely be $150 minimum for them to do right. People will start complaining about them owning their own machines and prices should be cheaper, etc. Just a giant headache if you ask me for something that, again, isn’t a necessity.

4 Likes

I know why but it involves unicorns and an unlicensed nuclear accelerator. Sorry I’ve said too much already.

6 Likes

Yeah price is a factor but I think the biggest reason is they don’t feel the need to because the bimetal market is flooded and already covered.

When 2Sick released the Knight, it was American made, $155, they didn’t have their own machine shop.

As of now OD can release a 7075 yoyo for $80. I think they could make a $130 bimetal if they really wanted to. Which I don’t think is too much to ask. That’s about the price of a UNPRLD bimetal, which is made in China.

Nobody was really complaining when they released a 7075 Format C for $120, I don’t think people would upset if they released a $130 bimetal. Nobody’s upset they’re selling $100 monometals now after all

7 Likes

Yea I don’t think people would complain bout the price at all. My guess is the juice is def not worth the squeeze though. Any shade thrown they’re way in the range of pricing/cost would/could be easily refuted as well - not a reason enough to push them away from doing it. I think they just simply ‘don’t want to’ heh. And I don’t blame em’ - I wouldn’t want to either.

11 Likes

They already have. Brass Side Effects + Aluminum bodies. :grinning::+1:

10 Likes

That is technically correct… the best kind of correct

9 Likes

With stainless steel bearings, a tri-metal :exploding_head:

5 Likes

On a different note, is there any chance at all we’ll see a version of the Virtuoso with Side Effects? I’m sure it’s a great player as is and adding Side Effects might actually decrease performance due to the added center weight, but I simply adore the shape of the yoyo and I also love Side Effects, so I’d love to see a version made that the only change is it’s Side Effect compatible! If that happens that may have to be the first retail purchase I’ll make in the past couple years!

3 Likes

Yoyospirit - I don’t see that happening - I’d strongly recommend giving that throw a try though. It’s very good. I don’t think any additional center weight would aid in it’s play.

4 Likes