Does anyone make an extra wide C bearing?

The gap width of my delrin wedge leaves much to be desired. Does anyone make a wider bearing to give it a little more space? or is there another way to increase the gap width?

2 Likes

You can use shims :slight_smile:

I’d be wary about shimming most modern yo-yos since it most likely will create a gap between the bearing and yo-yo that the string could get stuck in.

4 Likes

Beefcake!!! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

wow !
got to try this…

I am so trying this

thanks for the suggestions guys, i wound up just making 4 shims out of a 3x5 card and put 2 behind each spacer. works like a charm and gave me about .4mm extra in gap width.

3 Likes

Might I suggest beginning some pricey R&D with duplex bearings? I’ve always wanted to know how they’d do in a yo-yo. If they are even made that small…

1 Like

… could I shim a Deep State?

@Nathan

You could use thinner response pads. Like the OD 19mm slim pads or put in some highly worn pads from another throw.
Note: The OD slim pads are still very snappy, especially if you use a flat bearing.

I think so. It’s a full width bearing that sits pretty deep into the halves normally right?

Yeah deep enough that it only reveals about as much surface area as a half-spec. Should probably ask @da5id or @The_Machinist though, lol. Don’t want to ruin my Deep State somehow.

The only reason it’d mess it up is probably over tightening. Since it’s more space between the halves, you’ll want to make sure the axle is long enough to properly thread while not messing up the shaft or the axle (via stripping/cross-threading, etc.). Other than that, and as long as you’re not forcing anything, no harm no foul as far as I can tell.

If it’s relevant: If you’re in need of a supreme long axle, you can find them at most hardware stores online (I haven’t ever found one in person, just to order). M4-0.7 set screw (aka grub screw) is typical.

1 Like

Sweet! Since the Deep State has Side Effects, I guess stripping wouldn’t be an issue as long as it’s got enough thread to grab, but I will err on the side of caution and get a longer set screw just in case. Thanks!

You are free to try anything you want of course at your own risk :slight_smile: Things to consider though:

1. It’s possible that the bearing posts won’t make it into the I.D. of the bearing
  2. The set screw (16mm) is glued into one of the Side Effects. It’s glued in the exact spot so that it’s centered. Likely you’ll no longer have a centered axle if you break the glue and take it out.
  3. The next size up is 20mm which will probably be too long.
2 Likes

That was disappointing, but concise! Thanks! Is there a method you can recommend (at my own risk of course, no liability for my curiosity) to make the Deep State into a silly unresponsive?

The thick difeyo shims seem to be just the right size to make a deep state unresponsive. Didn’t need a new axle, didn’t break the glue on the current axle (although this could be a concern so use caution when tightening), and it plays dead smooth.

3 Likes

Not sure it can ever be a good 2A yoyo because of the gap and the weight. But lots of thick lube in the bearing will make it really responsive. The pads are above flush and the bearing ships lubed and it’s responsive (we call it semi-responsive because it doesn’t really work for 2A). But the more and thicker the lube, the more response.

1 Like

Yaaaasss. Thanks!

Was actually looking to go the opposite direction, lol. LLESS responsive so I have a super slim 1A.

Overall I’m a little confused by this thread. The desire seems to be a wider bearing or a shimmed bearing (effectively the same thing) but also more responsive? A bigger gap creates less response. I might have missed something along the way here though.