Does anyone have every yo-yo used in a worlds X division

I’ve been curious on what yo-yos have used to win worlds in the X divisions

I made a list of all the yoyos used to win 5A worlds a while back.There’s a couple years I’m not positive on (2016/2014/2009), but this should mostly be accurate.

2019 - Hideo Ishida - Laurus (Hydrangea)
2018 - Sora Ishikawa - ReMaster Galaxy (C3yoyodesign)
2017 - Takuma Inoue - Anubis (Turning Point)
2016 - Takeshi Matsuura - Palpitation (Turning Point)
2015 - Jake Elliott - Atlas (YYF&YoTricks)
2014 - Takeshi Matsuura - Leviathan 6 (Turning Point)
2013 - Takeshi Matsuura - Ai (YoYoJam)
2012 - Takeshi Matsuura - Quest (YoYoJam)
2011 - Takeshi Matsuura - Destiny (YoYoJam)
2010 - Takeshi Matsuura - Ai (YoYoJam)
2009 - Takuma Inoue - Leviathan 1 (Turning Point)
2008 - Takeshi Matsuura - Lyn Fury (YoYoJam)
2007 - Tyler Severance - Freehand Zero (Duncan)
2006 - Dana Bennett - Element X Pro (Buzz-on)
2005 - Maya Nakamura - Freehand Zero (Duncan)
2004 - Makoto Numagami - Hitman (YoYoJam)
2003 - Rafael Matsunaga - Night Moves 1 (YoYoJam)

5 Likes

2009 Takuma Inoue used TP Leviathan or Levi 2 because he was one of founding member of TP and both also dropped the same year, for Levi 1 which he used at 2009 JP Nationals. However, he might used Leviathan2 because this dropped no longer later.

Source

1 Like

I am only seeing one on there twice. Confirmed FHZ best 5A comp throw.

Takeshi used the YoYoJam Ai twice, which is actually really interesting because he had gotten two signatures following the Ai, yet then randomly in 2013 went back to the Ai for JN and worlds.

Another interesting thing about 5A yoyos used to win worlds is how a lot of beginner 5A players or non 5A players will imply that wider yoyos are better for 5A. When only twice have yoyos wider than 42.5mm been using to win worlds (ReMaster Galaxy and Atlas). It really goes to show that there’s no such thing as a “best type of yoyo for 5A” and it’s purely player preference.

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t see the second Ai listed. I never understood the wider = 5A idea. Wider to me seems like you will catch the CW end of the string in the gap when you don’t mean to more often.

I did always wonder how much of comp throw choice comes down to what the player’s sponsor wants to see on stage. God knows a 2023 V shaped bimetal must be better than the hundreds of other near identical V shaped bimetals.

When people are learning bee stings/efan stuff initially, extra width just provides more leniency. And that’s where the association comes from. I don’t think it’s much deeper than that.

Sora, Rin, Quac and other players with an emphasis on more extreme tricks and zoning makes perfect sense for why they want wider tho. But most 5A players aren’t doing tricks like them.

Mable, actually about 2016 & 2014 which Takeshi won the Worlds that you are not sure, in my opinion, there shouldn’t be Palpitation and Levi6 he used.

2016 if you slow down the video, you can see it was an outer rim yo-yo, but Palpitation is an inner rim.
2014 the same, I found that the yo-yo he used doesn’t have any rim, but Levi6 is an inner rim.

My guess is that Takeshi may used Levi5 at 2014 Worlds, due to he used it for 2014 JN Final, and considering that the top-class player generally will not change the yo-yo frequently for the play feeling.
And 2016 I guess he used Levi7, the reason is that he may like the feeling to play 5A with Levi series…and considering the advertising for Turning Point’s Flagship Product…

Welcome discuss peacefully. :slightly_smiling_face: