Does anyone have both the Sliver and Butterfly Al?

Oh, not at all! From my engineering background, I understand how the material, weight distribution, shape, etc. all affect how the yoyo plays. My problem, though, is that I don’t have enough experience to know definitively what kind of effect they’ll actually have during play :grinning: So it’s one thing to say that one yoyo has higher walls than another, but I don’t yet fully understand how that difference changes other characteristics of the yoyo during play, like spin time or stability. For example, this was new to me:

But those high walls will give you a lot more control during regens and stalls and other responsive stuff

So I’m pleased that you mentioned something that perhaps others take for granted because I learned something new. I’ve been throwing unresponsive yoyos this time around (I originally got caught up in the late 90s boom), but even in the early days I was never advanced enough to do a regeneration or stall and didn’t even know about their existence.

I get the concept of rim weight, and have a bunch of bi-metals with heavier rims, so that helps me when figuring out if I might like a particular yoyo. But other concepts, like high walls, smchoove rings, etc. are areas where I don’t have a complete grasp of how they affect the yoyo during tricks. That’s why I’ve watched @nightshadow’s reviews several times apiece - they usually delve into aspects of the yoyo and then he covers how that changes the yoyo’s characteristics when he’s doing tricks with it.

So I appreciate the time that you took to explain this to me. Now I’m going to have to check out the walls of my favorite throws and see how they all compare!

2 Likes