Does anybody here actually like TMBR?

Where can you find thick string? I got some zeekio stuff on ebay but its so thin!!! :confused:

lol, you guys are funny. String tension doesn’t matter on fixed axles… lol yeah right.
I have had about 20 no jives at this point. Only one came with a gap I didn’t have to mod. All the rest needed spacers or sanding of the axle. some of the finish’s needed stickers because they where too slick.
My tmbr throws came about the same. some have needed sanding some have needed spacers, some have needed stickers. Its wood. Its not metal. it varies that is how it is.
really only have ever had 3 no jives I was able to get working exactly as I wanted. I suspect its just part of the wooden yoyo game. Got them all working fine but not perfect. Anybody knows me, knows I am very particular on how my yoyo throws and responds.
I think what you got was normal for wooden fixed axle yoyos, and maybe your expectations where just a bit too high. Its rare for one not to need adjustment. Just be glad they are not the old glued wooden axle ones where you have to sand the inside faces to get them working right. Those where the days huh?
At any rate I like them just as much if not more then my tom kuhns. So I guess to respond to your first question, yes someone does like them. Its me.

2 Likes

I like my Baldwin, I think it plays great for a fixed axle.
Is it expensive? Yes it is, but there aren’t many options for wooden fixed axles out there, so they cost what they have to cost.
Does it play responsive? Mine does, out of the box (or should I say envelope?).
Comparing a No-Jive to a Baldwin is comparing bananas to berries. Their shapes are completely different, of course they won’t play the same. If you like No-Jives more, just buy them if you can find them.
Wood is just that much more difficult to play with, so it’s not for everyone.

Arrgh, I saw this thread all day and couldn’t reply. If your TMBR doesn’t work right, it ain’t the yoyo.

I have all of them, no response problems, no problems of any kind. If you don’t like the finish, buy a wooden fixed axle from someone else. :wink: Good luck.

Check here. They made a post a while ago saying TMBR sucked or something. Anyway, I used a TMBR a while ago and I liked it, gave a completely different feel than any other yoyos. Also, aren’t TMBR throws meant to be unresponsive?

I still think most of the unresponsive “problem” is due to people playing the wrong strings. The type-8 sold here on YYE are no bigger than a thread. Even butterflys aren’t reliably responsive with them. The type-10(thick) strings will fix most of anyone’s response problems.

Some people in this thread have said they are playing with poly string. :o

Design/manufacturing slump? They did just release a new yoyo. http://www.yoyoskills.com/?p=14654 What do you people want?

I bought some of the type 8 to go with my tmbr I like thin string. I bought the Tmbr knowing they aren’t the most responsive that’s why I also ordered an optic star nojive.

Yes

1 Like

I really like all my Tmbr throws, the new “Eh” is a master piece IMHO. Was using type 8 cotton from the shop, kept snapping the string every hour of play or so and the response wanted enough. Now I’m using fat type 10 cotton from the shop here and it’s perfect!

That being said, I really wanted to try a larger, heavier wood throw so I picked up a WoodChuck’s meat sauce on eBay. It’s larger and heavier!!! Perfect with type 10 cotton! Great for trying any string tricks! It’s a little sharp around the edges, but it will round out nicely with a few hours of carry and play. Here’s some pix below.

Yes I love my tmbr’s, but I would also LOVE to see a big heavy over sized monster from them as well!!! Two penny gap please. :smiley:

Why are some of you being sarcastic and/or aggressive? You know it’s a toy, right?

I’m glad I took my portion of this discussion to private messaging. Sheesh.

Really? I don’t see it. Just a discussion where everyone doesn’t agree. What posts are you referring to?

I don’t want to single anyone out. That wouldn’t be helpful.

Oops, I meant to put a grin at the end of my comment, anyway. Like this ;D

i like tmbr…

Is the original poster allowed to not like the TMBR?

It seems like everyone is piling in with helpful ways to make the TMBR work better than it does out of the box. Perhaps that is the problem. If it can be made so much better by tweaking it - why does it not come with these tweaks already at $50?

People seem to be jumping through a lot of hoops to make this throw play like a good yoyo. Why not just get a good yoyo for $50?

I don’t think everyone likes the same tweaks. :wink: I know mine have never needed much work. I play my 3-in-1s stock too, although I have seen them with dozens different of small mods by different people to make them play “right”.

Can you recommend a good wooden, fixed-axle yoyo?

Shaving down an axle in less than 2 minutes to bring it to a responsiveness level I like certainly didn’t feel like “jumping through a lot of hoops” to me. Nobody’s “piling on” anything; more like restating the same thing a few extra times to confirm, “yup, it’s meant to play that way, but if you don’t like it there’s an easy way to fix it, or just don’t buy one.”

The original poster is not only allowed to not like TMBR, but is welcome to share that opinion, even! But you can’t expect in a public forum that when you start off a thread with confrontation that you’re not going to have a few people say, “Whoah now, let’s slow down and review the facts. And to answer your question, I do like TMBR.”

Would you prefer we all agreed with the original poster instead of stating well-known facts? I don’t even own one and I can tell you his experience would have been better with thick cotton string. I can’t even get my Duncan imperials to respond when using polyester, much less a TMBR.

What in the hell keeps making you people think I’m not using thick cotton string?

Polyester is fine on a. Butterfly, metal axle.