TMBR YoYos?

So, I’ve been curious about the TMBR throws. They’re all fixed axle, yes? So, that would mean that they’re responsive, correct? How would you guys rate them? I don’t want to get one and be totally disappointed by it, because honestly, I don’t like responsive play. All the habits and everything I’ve picked up from unresponsive usually mess up responsive play.

Is it at all possible to put a bearing in to one of the TMBR throws? I don’t really know.

What do you guys think about them?

They’re the best wood fixed axle yoyos you can get.

They are responsive fixed-axle wooden throws. They’re among the best wooden yoyos you can get (I have two, with plans to add more!).

You cannot add a bearing, and nor should you want to. :wink: When you decide on something like a TMBR yoyo, it’s because despite your bad habits from unreponsive play, you want something different. A different sort of challenge and a different sort of fun.

And heck, if your main thing is still unresponsive play, certainly the techniques required to not accidentally trigger the response (keeping strings straight and aligned in the gap; maintaining tension on the string instead of just slacking it everywhere) will translate into better unresponsive play.

What do I think? I think you should get one. :wink: Here’s my go-to inspirational TMBR video:

1 Like

Everyone should want to smooth out their play by using responsive yoyos every now and then. Also, wood just has a nice feel to it.

1 Like

Hey guys, just wanted to update you guys and let you know I decided to get a LoveJoy! It’ll be here Thursday. Hopefully I’m not too bad. :wink:

Better yet: hopefully you’ll know that being awful is just a starting point and you’ll have fun. :wink:

Other than my “Inspirational go-to” video I linked above, the other thing that got me motivated to start learning more fixed-axle was “stalls”. In part because I had never seen them before so it was new and fresh, and in part because it’s unique to fixed-axle play. I suppose you “could” stall in unresponsive play, but it’s not much of a done thing because it doesn’t really suit that kind of play.

Ed Haponik put together a pretty great introduction to stalls:

Trying to do a “Trapeze stall to …and-his-brother stall” repeater gave me a fun new reason to start learning more fixed-axle/responsive.

A LoveJoy won’t steer you wrong. :wink:

When you say “stalls”, you mean where the yoyo stops and you start it up again? I’ve heard about stalls, but I’d never seen them performed.

So far I’m the first person at my local yoyo club to own a TMBR, and I’m really excited. The other kids are pretty close minded when it comes to unresponsive versus responsive play.

The kid who started the club, and is also the one starting kids out throwing always lends them an unresponsive throw. Everyone of the kids who comes to our club has completely skipped the responsive tricks. I used to think that was a good thing as you didn’t need to know it, but now… I’m not so sure.

@Sebastian: more or less. Different from a stop-and-go, though (which is a great trick, by the way). Have a look at the video; you’ll get it.

Playing responsive is lazy man’s yoyoing! Haha… Seriously though, when you get into it for a while and then go back to unresponsive, binding will seem like such a chore! Why bind when a simple tug will do?

You might find fixed axle frustrating at first as some tricks will seem impossible, but it has its own set of joys and frustrations. Stalls are very, very addictive and lots of fun!

I got mine last week. Yeah, these TMBR yoyos are wonderful. A LoveJoy and Baldwin came in. I think a Pro and a Fremont will soon be ordered as well.

Colin (TMBR) just finished a batch of Mahogany Baldwins and Pros. I love my Baldwin but don’t own a Pro. So the internal debate is: get another version of a yoyo I love (but with different look and weight) or try something totally new. I usually go for the “new” side of things, so that’s the more likely of the two. But when I thought he was only making Baldwins, I was already “committed” in my mind…

AHHHHH, YOYO ADDICTION!

I LOVE my lovejoy. It is in my opinion the best playing wood yoyo ever. I am VERY impressed with all of the TMBR’s I own/played. With the addition of mahogany now I am even more excited. I like the look and feel of mahogany. A “hog” lovejoy would be KILLER!!!

I wish there was a hog love joy! Or pure walnut would be great!!

Alright guys, my LoveJoy came today, and I freaking suck at this.

It doesn’t come back up when I throw it every time. Am I doing something wrong? Should I use one of my Polyester strings instead of the one it came with? What am I doing wrong?

I can land tricks like a trapeze and a double or nothing, heck I can even get a ninja vanish, but I can’t get it back to my hand without tugging three or four times.

I’d say I’m okay at unresponsive play, but I’m god awful at responsive play.

Someone, please guide me.

you need to get the string tension more tight. neutral string tension is not ideal when you are playing fixed axle.

Well that’s um… a hassle. I’m left handed you see, so right handed string gets looser. :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome. So I just have to do a side winder ever now and again to get it back to where I need it.

Thanks Schnayke! ;D

An if you don’t like it you can send it to landon balk and he’ll recesse it to accept silicone and a bearing :wink:

buy the new yoyo string lab inverse string http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/914/Yo-Yo-String-Lab—Inverse-Type-X-String—10-Pack

I have a simular problem and I am a righty. Just kinda’ one of those things about fixed. you have to adjust the string tension for what ever trick you are doing. if you are doing something with looping elements you need it very tight, if you are doing whips and what not you need it more loose.

100% poly and fixed wooden axles don’t mix that well. Too much friction, possible melting.