Do you yo-yo in public, have you ever met anyone else throwing in public?

Yoyo…butt……what? Which did you brush off? :face_with_monocle: Second thought, keep it to yourself. :laughing:

4 Likes

she slapped my butt bro, I brushed off the mild sexual harassment :laughing:

5 Likes

Who the hell even does that to a stranger? I’d probably have ignored it too, but just imagine if the sexes were reversed…

I dont yoyo in public admittedly. I keep bringing one with me, but I just can’t muster the courage yet. Idk why, but it just seems embarrassing. I’m not good enough yet anyways.

4 Likes

Lmao New York City is a weird place indeed - I used to have thoughts like that but eff it - just own it! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I was at the beach today, sat on a bench for a while then took out my yoyo. Threw a safety throw felt lame and sat back down. I can throw in front of my building no problem so who knows? There wasn’t that many people there either.

7 Likes

I’ve never met anyone else throwing in public, but I have met someone whose grandson used to be sponsored by YoyoJam, and someone else who used to date Steve Brown.

4 Likes

Like seriously you guys should just do it! Last night I was at the mall and a kid at Buckle was like “is that a yoyo on your belt?” and I was like “heck yeah!”. He said he used to be into yoyo so I took out my AL7 Bomber Banshee and told him to give it a throw. The slip knot had come out and he was trying to put the loop on his finger so I knew I might be in for a ding. But screw it man! I slipped the loop for him and got it on his finger. He threw a soft sleeper that didn’t hit the floor and then hilariously pulled to get it back up. I had assumed he knew unresponsive - the look on his face was so priceless! So I took the string off his finger and put it on mine and bound the yoyo back, then threw a little flow combo out of double or nothing, maybe a bit of matrix/cold fusion/kwyjibo thrown in I can’t remember and guy wright bound back. He and his coworker were SMILING! I told them about G2 and YYE and encouraged them to look back into the scene. It was a really fun interaction.

So even if you’re not comfortable throwing, maybe just conspicuously carry your throw - people WILL notice and you will start some conversations, I guarantee it!

Then you can walk the dog and BLOW THEIR MIND!!! haha!

17 Likes

My last yoyo encounter and coming across another person familiar with yoyo was a couple months back at work. I was on my break throwing, another person comes by and sees me doing stalls and working on regens. He came up and asked if he could try and I had a spare throw on me, a wooden fixie. He began throwing and I warned him it was just a fixed axle and next thing I see, he was doing some eli hops on the fixie. My evening was made.

Before my boss had left, he used to always come to my desk, swipe my yoyo (in this case it was my YYF Edge), throw a sleeper and find it wouldn’t return. On his last day at work, I let him play my Confusion, which he felt at home with…then my other boss takes it from him and figures out how to do a basic gravity pull/sleeper. Fun times, and better experiences than my old job where my witch of a boss told me to stop/got mad because I did a snap start to return it to hand. That company is long gone now but I digress :slight_smile:

I usually throw on my breaks at work especially as of lately trying to get back into it, have been lazy for a while and opted to play my Switch instead for the past several months.

7 Likes

Pretty sure that’s sexual harassment bro. You okay? We’re here for you fam

7 Likes

Doctor Popular asked to borrow my Yoyo at the Bart Train, he threw it, put the first Ding on it and handed it back to me and said, wow that one is smooth. Then I saw him selling yoyos and he told me that he puts perfume in the box so people get a nice smell when they open the box, I felt like asking for the ding he gave me back.

11 Likes

got into the aussie yoyo community after seeing someone busk on the street with it (he was better than me)(he still is)

2 Likes

I throw when I have the urge. I had a quick session for the first time at my new job last night. Finally warm enough. About a dozen co workers were all having a smoke as well. Pretty sure they think I am a wizard now.

5 Likes

This is kind of what bothers me about it most. It would be great to bust out the yoyo to kill time in public, but im not trying to make a statement or get people to talk to me about it. I know that I will attract attention, and if I take out my yoyo it is like im holding up a “look at me!” or “ask me about my flashy hobby!” sign. It’s not that im against talking to people about it or getting others into yoyo, but for the most part I just want to play with a toy to kill time while having fun and not make a scene and have people staring at me.

1 Like

I totally get that part of it too - that Charles Haycock video is a hilarious example of what can happen when you attract the wrong attention!

1 Like

Link, sounds interesting, lol

1 Like

Oh man if you haven’t seen this you are in for a treat!

12 Likes

Lmao!! Gonna get the Smuckers Brothers Remix!

2 Likes

“Woah, good woo! Love the woo!”

:joy:

This video is too real

That rain gutter in the background is next level too

2 Likes

Right!? Sometimes I show off with friends and family, like backyard BBQ, or when you step out of the bar to hang outside for a bit, in a fun party trick kinda way, like “check this out!” But mostly just goofing off, but in public with strangers I’m not trying to be that guy that’s like “hey look at me I’m so cool look at my talent”. Cause it’s mostly only cool to me, and not that serious. I don’t try and let it bother me though, I usually try to find a spot out of the way, but either way if I can’t I try to be as casual as possible and tend to be modest if anyone ask any questions.

I’ve also noticed a more positive reaction when I’m talking to other adults and say something along the lines of “ah yeah it’s just my hobby, helps to keep my mind sharp, helps me relax and take a break from daily stresses like work and bills ya know?” As soon as I say something like that I notice if they had that kind of puzzled look on their face probably thinking why is this man playing with a kids toy, turns into a look of understanding now that I’ve made it relatable and they can compare it to their own down time hobbies or think of it as a sort of stress ball Haha.

7 Likes

At the start of this year I made a promise to myself that I would try to yoyo in public every now and then, to be honest I still haven’t managed it and am not sure I ever will! I recently got some Begleri though and have no problem at all walking around playing with that even though I hardly know what to do with them! :slight_smile:

3 Likes