Do YOU care about EYYC/Non-USA Contests?

So, we have EYYC on the horizon. It’s the biggest non-Worlds event of the year for us European players and one of few multi-National contests on the yoyo calendar.

• My first question to you, as Americans (or Canadians), are you interested in EYYC? For that matter, are you really interested in ANY non-USA contests (Japanese Nats, Asia Pacific, etc)?

If so, why? If not, why not?

• Secondly, I put the same question to you regarding players. Are your favourite players all American, or are they Japanese or European, or anywhere else?

I’m interested to hear your thoughts and opinions. :slight_smile:

I care about All contests… USA Contests is like limiting yourself to Vanilla ice cream when there is a world of choice out there.

There is so much creativity in the Yoyo World.

There is an old saying, ‘Everything you see and learn will come to serve you someday’.

The variety of worldwide Yoyo Contests exposes ones’ mind to the technics and directions so many players are developing.

I feel it is a ‘given’ that all of us as yoyo enthusiasts should recognize and appreciate All the players for the Mad skills they bring to the stage.

The people that just primarily focus on their own Countries’ Yoyo Contests are shortsighted. Players are pushing the trick envelope all over the World. To not pay attention to that is to stunt you own potential.
And to isolate us into ‘Caves of ignorance’.

One of the best ways to get help is to always be helpful. And one of the very best ways to get support is to lend support to others.

The Internet has had the Amazing effect of breaking the 7 year cycle of Yoyo popularity. The Internet has exposed exposed players around the Planet to stay in touch and share their advances.

All of us that throw yoyos are to one degree or another responsible to help keep the Yo-yo rolling along.

Every piece of a Puzzle is important. The best way for us to keep the Puzzle complete is to Pay attention to what every hosting Country and players bring to the table.

People travel the World for adventure and to learn…

As yo-yo players we have the easiest possible alternative. If we have a computer or even a smart phone we can travel the Entire yo-yo Contest World without even leaving the house, lol.

I don’t play favorites. Every Contest, every Country, every player has something to share.

My view anyway🤓

4 Likes

As usual, a spot in response from yoyodoc. I agree on all points, there is so much creativity from players all over the world.

That said, I may not wake up in the middle of the night to watch the live feeds, but, I check out the videos afterwards.

I can’t say I have one favorite player, different players have different styles, I enjoy watching and trying to learn all of it.

1 Like

The only non-USA contests I follow are EYYC and European National contests. I don’t really have a good reason for it, though. I guess it’s because a have a lot of players I like that are from Europe and I don’t care for as many Asian yoyo players.

Why not Asian players? I feel like the old stereotype of all Asian players being speed players is no longer apply to today’s age of yoyoing. Players like Toru Miyazaki, Ayumu Harada, and Takeshi Matsuura have some of the most mind blowing 1A I have ever seen. Just watch some of their freestyles and see if that convinces you to look more into Asia contests :slight_smile:

Definitely care about all contests.

I really have no idea. I just don’t find it as interesting as EYYC.

have to say i was a little bit disappointed with eyyc after last year

Oh definitely I do care! Nationalism in yo-yoing (any nationalism, in fact) has a super negative effect on your yoyo development; and really, when you make generalizations about country’s or region’s yoyo styles because of the more successful yoyoers from that region, that’s just plain stupid. Not all Asian players play like Hiroyuki. Not all American players play like Gentry. Being an active viewer of yoyo contests is super good both on your style development and it adds some diversity and understanding to you as a yoyoer.

1 Like

Of course!!! Does anyone care about Canadian Nationals?

I like all of them, particularly EYYC and European nationals. I also watch some AP and stuff. I like all the contests because they have so much trick diversity that is really interesting to watch, and it’s cool that this hobby can be seen all throughout the world.

Favorite player wise…
;D

i would say i don’t care about WHO WINS any contests, and i’m equally apathetic about the results in the us or any other country. like i literally could not care less (excepting maybe when the winner happens to be a close friend of mine, in which case i’m just happy they’re happy).

HOWEVER, i love to see the videos and tricks that come out of every contest, irrespective of location. we have it so good now getting to see footage from all over the world so quickly and clearly. the trick creativity and innovation constantly cross-pollinating all over the world is so inspiring, and every contest that gives players a venue and a reason to keep pushing and exploring is worthwhile and should be appreciated.

3 Likes

Only if Harrison Lee wins

or if jensen pops up out of nowhere

1 Like

Wait… so you’re telling me, there exist yoyoers who are only interested in contests from certain part of the world and not the others?
Wait… these people really exist?

Thats contest…ist.

2 Likes

I actually wasn’t sure if this was satire or not haha.

Last years finals had incredible freestyles. If it’s half as good it’ll be an amazing show haha.

I think it’s easier to follow for some people who have been raised on the names of peopel from their region. For instance, Im not super familiar with many Asian or Oceanic yo-yoer’s names, but I know that they have sick tricks, so I watch their contests.

1 Like

Some fantastic responses here guys! Mo, that post was a masterpiece.

Not sure if sarcasm, but this what prompted the initial post. It seemed to me like there was a tendency to naturally sort of segregate-ourselves into our own country’s communities. Obviously the language barrier plays a part in this and it’s natural to be more interested in the community that you’re aimmediately part of, but I’d love to see the yoyo communities all get a bit more intertwined over time.

I know it’s something I’m guilty of myself. I follow all the big USA contests (LVO, BAC, Nats) and the big Japanese ones, but I hardly followed any of the smaller national contests up to this point, and that’s something that I’m going to personally change. Lead by example and all that. ;D

Up till this point, not that much unless AlexisJV or Jensen was involved. However now I’m determined to follow it. Please let me know when it is. :slight_smile:

I agree, “Gentry Stein/Zach Gormley/Andrew Maider” are a lot more familiar and easier to remember than “Tatsuya Fujisaka/Akitoshi Tokobuchi/Ryosuke Iwasawa” or “Matous Tomes/Grzegorz Wojcik/Jan Hlinka”. Heck, I even had to google those Japanese names (besides Tatsuya since he’s a personal favourite) to make sure I spelled them right.

Still, with time and more focus I’m sure it’ll become easier.

I have a dream… a dream where everyone gets excited about every contest. The caliber of contests has gotten so good recently, so it’s never been a better time to get interested.

Here’s a few dates for your calendars:

19-20 March 2016 - European Yo-Yo Contest

26 March 2016 - Canadian Nationals

28-29 May 2016 - Japanese Nationals

1-3 July 2016 - Asian Pacific Yo-Yo Contest

2 July 2016 - UK National Yo-Yo Contest (wish me luck!)

Will update when I get any more details. :slight_smile:

Yeah. Some,of my faveorite,yoyo players are European plus I got to keep track of all those girl yoyoers.

Canada Nationals is on March 26th wish me luck :smiley: