Do YOU care about EYYC/Non-USA Contests?

You got this man. First, Canadian Nationals… then, Worlds. ;D

:smiley:

No.
Contests are great an all, but it’s never interested me when it comes to yoyos. I think it might have a little to do with my advanced age, because I USED to enjoy concerts and crowded events, but now I’m much more interested in throwing for pleasure and the people/companies that invest their time and money trying to provide everyone with their wares. I’ve only been to contests in California (4 to date), and I’ve never made it past the first hour of any of them. I usually show up, walk around and check out the manufacturers’ tables, maybe buy a yoyo or two and then I’m gone.

That’s not to say I don’t enjoy watching people throw. But when points get tied into it, and then the players are egging on the audience to cheer louder… meh… just not my scene anymore.

I do follow most major contests regardless of location. But to be completely honest, I prefer to watch non-competitive videos. I feel like I get to see more of the person behind the tricks. Music choice, locations, attire, and even editing style give me a more complete experience than seeing their freestyle at a regional/state/national event. Trick selection can also have a wider range in these videos. Some combos don’t score well, but they may look amazing. Don’t they deserve to be shared? I feel that often times players go safe (not everyone but a good amount). And that’s fine. Having a concise and clean routine is important for your score. However, that’s not everything the player has to offer. I like seeing that other material in videos.

Even with that said, I love attending contests. Meeting people is even better than watching on the screen.

1 Like

Agreed. I watch most international but not much of the smaller nationals ones mostly because I don’t hear about them. It’s fun to see who the up and coming people are and the potential they hold.

shameless plug

I had no idea this existed! This makes life a lot easier, thanks! saves to bookmarks

1 Like

I am definitely not as interested in contests outside of the U.S.A., or outside of my region within the U.S.A. The same applied to Worlds the last few years, because I wasn’t going to travel. And, even when it was here in the U.S.A., and I wasn’t going to travel, I kind of felt the same way. I get most excited about the regional contests that I attend.

I’ll check results of who won some of the other contests, but mostly when the players I follow are the ones involved. Also, it’s a tease to see all the yo-yos offered in person at the contest, and I can’t get them :D. I wouldn’t say that I “don’t care,” but there are only so many hours in a day. I can’t follow the progress of every player around the world, or every contest around the world, so my interest tends to focus closer to home. I think that’s completely natural anyway.

I need to figure out how to promote it better. It’s been up for YEARS now.

1 Like