Do titaniums outdo(?)bimetals?

Pretty sure that’s the materials specific strength .

So 6061 has a specific strength from 48-144 (or the lowest and highest strength that material can achieve . )

So from this you can see titanium can reach a much higher specific strength

Almost sure the lower end signifies untempered raw metal which no one uses to make mechanical parts.

On a side note I v found no source explocitly suggesting that a300 is any significantly stronger than regular 7075. The manufacturer of a300 themselves promptly avoided direct comparison of their strengths despite doing so for some of their other properties.

1 Like

I think this is a bit misleading. While using a particular material will not guarantee a great yo-yo; it is misleading to say that the material is not important to the performance.

Lets compare yo-yo’s that are the same design but are made of different materials. Will the performance (speed/spin-time/stability) be the same for the plastic version? Clearly, material does matter. Superior materials obviously need to be combined with good design. But lets be clear that this superior performance is a combination of factors both design and materials. The bi-metal Draupnir will clearly outperform a all-aluminum Draupnir - so obviously the materials do matter.

Good design, with superior performing materials will make a better yo-yo than just good design. Poor design, no matter what materials are used, will still be a bad yo-yo.

Except that I didn’t say that. I said that material difference does not EQUAL performance difference.

I agree with what you said. I am going to infer, therefore, that you actually AGREE with what I said. :wink:

I have owned and still own some bi-metals. They do not “outperform” all single aluminum yoyos. It is not misleading to emphasize for those who don’t “get it” that a yoyo that is bi-metal is not automatically more performant than a yoyo that is single aluminum.

1 Like

They all perform pretty great these days anyway. It a whimsical debate.

Plastic, Hybrid, Aluminum, BiMetal, and Titanium yoyos all offer sufficient performance for us to create combos and kill competitions. The tiny difference is more about feel, than performance.

A high grade material doesn’t always translate to higher grade performance.

1 Like

A good yoyo is one that suits you. For some it may be the color that is the most import factor. Others it’s exclusivity. Some care about performance and there is no set best for every individual.

Rejoice choice. Try everything. Play with whatever makes you happy.

5 Likes

While the material used will impact the overall design, the best weapon any company can have in their arsenal is a kick@$$ designer. Luckily, most of the top tier companies have incredible designers on staff to bring us all these cool toys.

And yes, definitely the best yo-yo is the one that is just right for you. I will be the first to say that color does play a part in my purchasing, which is funny considering that I never sit down and say that I must pick up a certain yo-yo because it is made out of a certain material. Good yo-yos transcend the materials that they are made of.

The YYF Dream Ti is kind of a similar size/shape to my RainFly, so I intend to answer this question (for myself at least) sometime in June : )

Guys what’s stronger? Steel? or Titanium?

Technically steel but there are lots of differences between the two that dictate why one material is chosen over the other.

http://bit.ly/1IYZqHu

:slight_smile:

lol ;D

I didn’t read all comments before posting this, sorry if it has been mentioned before. If you push the weight too far on the rim, sure it will be long spinning and all but it won’t play good because throwing the yoyo itself can become difficult, the easiest explanation I can think of is by using looping yoyos. First narrow the gap and test, feel how it throws down. Next make the gap wide and test, you’ll notice that the yoyo seems to be more heavier on the rim.
Now imagine a yoyo with maximum weight on the rim possible, it will just “stick” to your hand when thrown, because it unrolls far longer than it swing.
Also, using heavier metal doesn’t mean it will be more stable, it simply only allow for a wider range of design possibilities. Dense metal can be made thin for the same total weight of say, plastic, since it’s thinner the weight can be concentrated in a way that is impossible for plastic. Or in other word, generally you can always make a metal with the same weight distribution to a plastic, but not always vice versa.