Do different bearings spin longer in certain yoyo's?

do they? Only reason i ask is cuz today before work i was sitting in my car and letting my yoyo’s fall from their own weight and seeing how long they spun for. I noticed that my yyf 2.0 spun longer with with the stock bearing than a center track i had while my Starlite spun much longer with the center track than the 2.0 stock bearing. I also noticed the starlite spun longer with the CT bearing than the yyf 2.0 did with the stock bearing and then the opposite for the 2.0 stock bearing. So do certain bearings work better in certain yoyo’s? Also each bearing has roughly the same amount of play.

It’s more complicated that that. Lube(as applicable) and how well the bearing is broken in play factors. Weight, as well as where and how the weight is distributed also plays a factor.

Some bearings seem to work a bit better than others. YYJ has the SPEC bearing and their SPEED bearing for example. I haven’t tried YYE-branded bearings. I like Terrapin X bearings, especially the wing cut bearings. I’ve got 10-Ball and Dif-E-Yo Konkaves, centertracks and more as well. I will say that normally when I need a replacement bearing, I mostly order Terrapin X Bearings. I’m kinda going over stuff I got from BST and quite a few have needed new bearings.

I can say that some bearings may perform better in certain yoyos. I mean, my DieNasty, Protostar and Northstar all use Centertracks. There has to be a reason for that, especially since YYF sells their own branded bearings. One Drop makes the 10-ball bearings, so it makes sense that they use those in their yoyos. The Phenom and Phenomizm use Konkaves, yet YYJ sells their own branded bearings as well. I mean there has to be a reason why a company chooses to use a certain bearing. Of course, we’re free to choose something else that we like better.

Without doing some sort of more empirical method of determining amount of play/spin/friction characteristics of the bearings, it’s hard to really say they have the same amount of play. I would think something heavier would “break in” a bit more than a bearing in the yoyo than a bearing in a lighter yoyo. But I’m just guessing based on what seems logical to me.

I think this is an interesting idea to test.

as previously mentioned, the weight of each yoyo, amount of breaking in, lube or lack of lube, and also string length all play a part in how the energy of the yoyo spinning interacts with the bearing and vice versa

YYF (CBC) spec bearing, yoyojam speed bearing.

I like certain bearings better in certain yoyos, so yes they do perform better in certain yoyos, but it is mostly preference.

There are many factors for your example as was previously mentioned, but if you have not pubed them or anything (yyf ships dry) and have played them for the same amount of time they should have about the same amount spin time theoretically.
But that’s irrelevant, even if one bearing had more lube, and the string lengths were way different the centre track made the starlight spin longer and the 2.0 spin less time and vice versa. Since the same bearings were used in both yoyos, that proves that the bearings work better in the yoyos that they came stock in vs the other one (this is not true for all yoyos).

Studio42 nailed it.

awesome thanks guys. Kind of disappointing, i like the design of the CT better but the flat bearing is smoother and spins longer.

I find that sometimes bearings can affect the amount of vibe in a certain yoyo. In my Genesis, the Center Trac makes the yoyo more smooth than a KK while the KK can be dead smooth in other yoyos.

i noticed that with my old CT bearing. I had only been yoyo’ing for a couple weeks at the time but had already gotten a few diff yoyo’s and my CT bearing worked awesome in my Starlite but gave my dv888 awful vibe