Disc golfers of yye thread

I know i’m bumpin’ this thread but i had to say i set my first round record, and today i’m gonna finish that game and hopefully set my record…

I KILLED my record… SIX whole strokes off MY PREVIOUS RECORD :slight_smile: :smiley: ;D :o

No need to shout, or I’ll e-nice your disc. :stuck_out_tongue:

PS: if you don’t get it, think about how whenever someone says nice, it always seems to find the nearest tree…

that post deserves to be in the unrelated discussion of the unrelated discussion… you should have sais “you used to stink!” lol

I suppose I should have just said “Good job…”

lol that too

I know I’m bumping this old thread but I had to say this. I shot a putt(or put however you spell it) today and it landed and got stuck on the edge of the basket. Uggh… I found out it isn’t in.

I really would like to start playing. Where would be a good place to purchase some discs?

Should I start with 3? i.e. driver, mid-range and putter.

My suggestion is this:
Get these 3 discs
-Innova Aviar DX (Putter) 165-175g
-Discraft Buzzz Elite Z (Mid Range) 165-170g
-Innova Eagle DX (Driver) 165gish
-Total price ~$30

Use the putter under 150’, mid under 350’ and the driver only for shots over 350’. Get to know both the Buzzz and Aviar really well, because drivers are only needed for long shots (I drive off the tee with a putter for anything <200’) and the Buzzz is a ridiculously versatile disc.

I currently throw all of the discs I mentioned (and a lot more) except the Eagle, which I throw the slightly more stable version of; the Teebird (Not a beginner disc). The difference between the Teebird and Eagle is like the difference between a One drop with ultralights vs spikes (Definitely there, but how much you notice it depends on the person).

1 Like

Yep! Dick’s Sporting Goods has a set of 3 too…driver…mid-range… or chipper… and putter for $24.99 in a package! Ready to go!

DO NOT get your discs from ■■■■■■ Its a ripoff on price, and a terrible selection.

Play it Again Sports generally is hit or miss depending on the location.

Online stores have huge selections, and are great for beginners who don’t care so much about things like the “Gummieness” of the plastic.

Just clicked this thread. This is the first time I’ve ever even heard of this, so it must be a USA thing. Looks interesting though.

What’s the minimum number of discs, to get to give this an honest try?

I assume the driver is larger and heavier than the putter and that additional discs vary between these two extremes.

Looks like starter kits have 3 to 4 discs. Seems relatively inexpensive to get into. 3 or 4 or more discs to start?

I think it is mainly a US thing at the moment, but I’m sure there are still a ton of courses on your side of the pond.

You can play whole rounds with one disc, but 3 is a good number.

Drivers are smaller and lighter (Generally) than the other discs, because you can throw lighter discs farther than heavier ones.

Consider it like yo-yoing, to give it an honest first try, a yomega fireball would suffice. Consider puts and long drives like your bind returns and trapezes, you won’t hit them right off the bat and you need to know a few things first. A good plastic driver is really all you need for your IMO first summer. Getting down a strong straight throw will be your primary goal and WILL take a lot of practice. It is a blast and totally fun.

I personally don’t mind the ■■■■■ starter packs. I guess you could find them cheaper if you looked, but for how honestly cheap they are, they give you the basics and its convenient. There is also nothing wrong with starting out with a driver, putter, mid-range…etc I’m not trying to discourage that. I was just saying, you could theoretically get a 7.99 driver and IMO play fine with that all summer, although a putter does make it nice, however when I started I just used my driver as a putter.

Oh and to make another yoyo analogy, remember when you started learning yoyo’ing and you just got super sick and tired of untying knots…consider losing your discs in the bushes like untying nots…in the beginning it is gonna happen a lot…and get very frustrating lol >.<

P.S. Save yourself some frustration your very first time going, and only focus on trying to keep the disc on the path. Even if that means lightly throwing the disc 5-10 feet in front of you the entire 18 hole course then do it. My experience is that people progress much much faster playing courses this way, eventually you will be drilling long shots and 20 ft puts.

BTW. Wildcat, I checked my nephews basement and they didn’t keep my discs. However, if I find any at my mothers house, or end up hitting the swamp, I will keep my promise and hook u up man!

Thanks for the suggestions.

It’s amazing on how cheap it is to get started in disc golf.

My main frustration with the started packs is the lack of a good mid. They usually give you a shark, or cobra, which are good for low tight shots. I tell people to get Buzzz’s because of how ridiculously versatile they are.