Direction of string spin

Hi, i was wondering…

Does the direction in which a string is spun really matter?

I mean, spinning a string clockwise is it any different than spinning a string counterclockwise?

Thanks,
Sam

Most strings are conventionally spun in the direction that a typical throw-bind cycle tightens it, dont think it has any effect on play tho

1 Like

It does not matter.
And if you think about it, it’s really impossible to know if you are winding a string clock or counter clock.
Considering most yoyos don’t have a designated front.
For example if I’m winding a string clock ways, and i then flip the yoyo over. I am now winding the string counter-clock-ways :wink:

1 Like

Ok, thanks i understand.

Well, spinning the string one direction will unwind it (loosen), and spinning it the other direction will wind it (tighten). There is definitely a difference. You can actually loosen the string enough where the loop around the bearing will become so large that the yoyo can actually come off the string. I’ve done that before.

If you’ve ever gotten that “spaghetti string” thing, where the string keeps bunching up, you have tightened the string too much and it needs to be loosened. Try searching for “how to loosen and tighten yoyo string” and there are many videos that show how to do it.

*EDIT - I now realize, if you’re just talking about which direction you’re winding up the string around the yoyo, then no, there’s no difference.

I think i need to clarify, i mean when making a string. Like a regular yoyo string would be spun for right handed players. So if i make my string the other way, for left handed players would i change play for right handed players?

The difference will primarily be in if the string gets tighter or looser when the yoyo is looped. If it’s made with a clockwise twist it will unwind for right handed inside loops, and tighten for left handed inside loops. A string made with a CCW twist will do the opposite. For doing 1A type string tricks it probably doesn’t really matter all that much. It doesn’t matter for looping all that much either, you just need to be aware of it for string tension control.

Lol, yeah you defaintly needed to clarify because that’s not what I got from your Orginal post.
Looking at my strings some are wound to the left some are to the right. My guess it it all depends on the makers setup. I don’t see any difference in play between the two as far as tightening and loosening. And no company “that I know of” has designated strings for left handed or right handed players. So I’d really say it’s whatever way you want to do it or whichever way is going to be easiest for your set up.
“To clarify I play 1A, but John is correct, if I was playing 2A I am sure I would notice more of a difference”

Lol. Thanks for clarifying Nolan.
I can’t help but feel that you’ve been trolling my every step waiting for me to slip.

I am left handed. I primarily throw 1A, left handed. I don’t throw 3A. I do throw 2A.

I grew up adapting to most things; right handed in design.

Somebody gave me a book one day… A catalog; with nothing but ‘left handed products’. Almost of no value to me. I grew up in a right handed World.

Now we come to string. A few people are making left handed string. I would not use it if they sent me a box of it. I am already fully adjusted to using standard righty string(string would clockwise by: drill, machine, whatever).

I can make string. And I do make my own string for certain applications; like yoyos with very narrow or very Wiiiide gaps. String is not hard to make. It is just time consuming if you use the basic drill/hooks on a board/wall/whatever; method. I could just as easily run the drill in reverse to cook up some Southpaw string.
I don’t.

Some people have told me I should 2 hand with the right string for one hand and the left string for the other hand. Then I have to ‘unlearn’ what I have adapted to for years.

If you are left handed and are just starting out: dunno; that might be an interesting and/or useful way to go.
For me, it is about as useful as going to Yogurtland; and seeing a sign that says,‘For Southpaws; we offer soft serve yogurt cups filled by a nozzle that goes Counterclockwise’ lol

It is nice somebody is going to the trouble to offer something for lefties. But nothing I would find useful.

3 Likes

It makes a big difference which direction the twist of the string is done. As yoyodoc has noted, people become used to using a certain twist (>99% of the time it’s standard twist), this is especially important when it comes to adjusting string tension. The difference between the two types during a trick is negligible, sure, but think about how often people adjust string tension (like all the time).

I was asked to offer left twist string. The advantage to having it available is for a lefty to be able to adjust string tension like a righty, but in mirror image. This may be helpful for using tension adjusting videos, but it’s not necessary, as there are multiple alternatives for a lefty to adjust tension with a standard twist string.

1 Like

The direction of tension itself generated by a certain trick is always the same regardless of whether it makes the string look looser or tighter

When doing the same trick with the opposite hand, the direction of tension is reversed. That is, if a certain trick performed by the right hand causes clockwise tension, then the same trick performed by the left hand causes counter-clockwise tension.

I am left handed, so as I play my string always gets looser, which feels worse than over-tight string imo (its rougher I think), but it doesn’t bother me too much, both ways the string tangles and you have to adjust string tension anyways.