Dinging plastic yoyos

Im not positive but I’m curious if this is what’s happening or not…it seems like sometimes when I ding my plastic yoyos afterwards the binds seem a little tighter. I’m thinking maybe it causes the gap width to become smaller than they were before. There’s a few other variables it could be like humidity or just the state of my response pads. I just wonder if it’s something from dinging it because I’ve noticed it both on my shooting star and first base and it seemed like directly afterwards dinging them. Has anyone else ever experienced this? If it is because of that any idea if it would be the axle or the bearing seat causing it? They weren’t like terrible dings, they still play fine. It’s just something I’ve been wondering it about.

2 Likes

Im guessing it tightened the throw when it hit the ground?

3 Likes

I’ve thrown a plastic yoyo it survive a hit to the ground but the axle bent and caused it to vibe a tad

1 Like

I feel like this has definitely happened to me, but I assumed I was going crazy :joy:

1 Like

I’m guessing the gap issue is more due to environmental effects, pad condition (or perception). introducing some vibe after a ding is possible primarily due to a bent axle though probably rare unless you really smack it.

1 Like

My Topyo Cloud hit the wood floor hard enough to lock the bearing. Other than that, no issues.

There are a few ways that plastics are assembled, so the results of an impact could differ. But altering the gap while maintaining alignment enough to avoid vibe seems pretty flukey.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t know for sure. I was just curious if anyone else ever experienced it. Both times it happened was from doing eli hops off the ceiling…I gotta stop doing that. I used to have a lot of binds slip on my first base when it was new. Right after I hit the ceiling it felt like it was binding back to my hand alot harder than usual and not slipping. It still could just be humidity or the pads weren’t broken in. They def got some vibe but nothing too serious.