Different 1A styles

Are speed combos generally easier than tech/slack combos?

1 Like

Yeah speed combos are made of easier elements so that they can be done very very fast. To actually do they very very fast is still hard. Also modern competitive Yoyo is kind of just all very fast but speed combos are built in a way that makes the speed less risky.

Slack tricks have more variables than a speed combo often. I am definitely biased here to be fair, but on average there is more going on, how hard the slack is thrown, the length of the slack, the part of the yoyo you need to hit, etc.

Where speed combos often are completed from a kamikaze mount, and are strapped in like they have a seatbelt.

I may be an outlier that slack tricks are more comfortable to me… haha.

4 Likes

Ultimately slack type combos will be harder but I say that with quotes because there are other factors to keep in mind.
When you watch a speed player like Ayumu Kasuga doing lightning speed rail combos and front style, there’s an extreme difficulty in that.
Sure the elements may be simple, but I can most definitely say that to get to that level of speed takes a VERY long time with some insane hours of practice. In that regard, no, speed tricks are not “easy” and you will only see a small handful of players ever get to that level of speed.

I feel in concept slack tricks have an upper hand in difficulty, but when you take into factor the upper echelon of speed players and what they achieve, it balances out quite a bit.

2 Likes

Speed combos are demonstrations of power, precision and complexity at the fastest speed possible on a ( rail ) set up.

In my limited opinion more fun to do, not so much fun to watch. Hard to enjoy just watching.

Stack elements, rejections and tension hooks are specific to each player due the multitude of variables string length, string tension, whip size opening, speed throw hand pull, lobbing the yo-yo, using your kendama knees and other variables.
While managing so many variables pros make it look as if you are barley doing anything.

In my limited opinion slacks and stuff make throwing look like magic. Very enjoyable to watch… very frustrating to try and get
( my slacks and stuff ) to look as good as professionals throwers.

More practice for me.

Is it the weekend in a few hours!
Everyone have a great weekend!

5 Likes