Did anyone yoyobattle at school back in the day?

I know nowadays we can battle with videos online which is very cool.

Back in the nineties boom, I remember pulling out my Duncan Butterfly in the bathroom and my opponent pulled out his glow in the dark Fireball.

A few other kids were in the bathroom watching. One trick, best trick wins. I remember my opponent going first. He did brain twister. The audience loved it.

I pulled off split the atom, which I had been practicing for about 6 months. I was the yoyo king in middle school after that. I quickly upgraded to a Spintastics Tornado 2 from the infinite illusions catalogue I got in the mail.

16 Likes

Haha!! Excellent win.

It was break dancing for me. Who remembers Yo! MTV Raps? :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ahahahha man it was breakdancing for me as well, I remember the first time I did a front flip the whole school exploded, such good days!

6 Likes

The wife and I recently purchased a house accross the street from the Middle School i attended in the 90’s.

From my bedroom window I can see the exact spot I first saw anyone breakdance.

They were doing UFO’s

8 Likes

Love this video so i figured this is a good thread for it… i personally never threw yoyos much before my 20s.

11 Likes

That gave me my first laughs of the day!

2 Likes

Funny enough we did have a mini yoyo boom on our elementary school back in early 2000’s and thus it had a yoyo battle during recess. we only had bootleg yoyos worth under a buck and showing off some tricks like winding up a yoyo using our bare foot, releasing the dog (basically walk the dog but removing the knot) and other basic stuff.

the yoyo sales from our flea market has skyrocketed because at that time blazing teens was aired on local tv and theres a lot of hype going on, until one day our teachers confiscated our yoyo because it creates a distraction from our classes and the hype died few days later.

Good ol times

3 Likes

WOW - talk about timing!

Coincidentally I just got a message from a friend sharing this article in the Local Newspaper I was in back in the THIRD Grade in the 90’s LOL!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Who knew I would continue to play with this toy!

Also I may have been using a Yomega Fireball or a Spintastics Tigershark haha

10 Likes

The Tiger shark was out of stock, but that Tornado got my precision down, lol. That article is awesome, ty for sharing

3 Likes

Very funny, makes South Park sound tame. :joy:

3 Likes

Love this, are you bouncing the yoyo off the kids head?

Definitely! It was a YoYo Battle after all!! LOL jk :rofl:

(Looks like I was performing my go-to trick/only string trick I knew how to do, The Brain Twister)

2 Likes

Dude YES. The late 90’s were lit and we totally had “throw downs” just as you said.

I remember having a Duncan Butterfly and a Yomega Fireball/Brain…

…And I was the only kid I knew with the ever-elusive Duncan PROFESSIONAL :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s awesome! We slowly upgraded to better throws. Saber Raider, Bumblebee GT and Super Spinfaktor blew my mind

1 Like

Hell yes! For me it was Team Losi! Cherry Bomb, Da Bomb and Grim Sleeper. Still pull them out every now and then. Good Times for sure!

1 Like

maybe once in high school in 98. i was the first kid roaming the halls in 96 with a yoyo. then i’d see another one, and another one, until by 98 kids with no skill were throwing everywhere and hurting bystanders getting yoyos banned, when they couldn’t bite my style with forward passes and around the world walking the halls. Weird thing was i didn’t really know any of them , i was too weird and unpopular. A couple friends that were into the fad put them away soon after walk the dog got boring. I was the only kid that wanted to go further with it, and I had more tricks than anyone at the time. pretty sure in my electronics class senior year ( spring 98) someone was bragging about rocking the baby. he botched his throw a bit and did the trick but didn’t complete it ( didn’t wind all the way back to his hand. ) I showed him something like split bottom front style barrel rolls to brain twister and into rock the baby on the trapeze in a combo, and then returned it to my hand. no one ever attempted to challenge me again. And it didn’t make me any new friends. been completely solo on the yoyo front since then actually.

5 Likes

That is too funny!! Love it.

1 Like

Wait a minute; the early 90’s is now “The day”? …I hate you all. :wink:

2 Likes

Probably for not that much longer :pleading_face:

2 Likes

No battles, but it was the early 70’s with this baby.

11 Likes