Designing colorways

How would you go about designing a colorway for a yoyo for anodizing? Anyone have experience with this?

2 Likes

I’m still really new to this, but it helps to become familiar with the sorts of techniques that are used to dye anodized aluminum.

• Solids
  • Fades (they dip it into the dye part way)
  • Masking (dye it one color, mask it however you want, strip the other color off with bleach, then dye it again to color the other area)
  • Acid wash (strips color off of the splashed area)

I think you can also do water-transfer of the dyes.

There’s some info here:
https://www.finishing.com/38/68.shtml
https://www.finishing.com/458/34.shtml

You can also look at Gruntbull’s portfolio for some ideas:
http://www.gruntbull.com/portfolio/

3 Likes

Sure, I have a catalogue of over 43,000 colorways -

My names Josh -

Throw True LLC

GrowTrueRecords

219/779-0128 -Josh
I’m on line , voxer, what’s app, or just text me, or call.

1 Like

Wait what do you mean you have a catalog?

1 Like

https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/

This is great for understanding some basic colour rules. I like Triads the most, but you can find some nice combos for acid washes, fades and splashes on there.

3 Likes

None of this explains the desert sunrise colorWAT

2 Likes

I stole that one from Lamonte over at Amplified. Shameless.

Edit. I even used the same name as to keep it consistent lol

3 Likes

Anyone ever had Gruntbull do a custom anno on a single throw? Curious what kind of pricetag that comes with

2 Likes

@codinghorror has. If I recall correctly, it’s somewhere in the ballpark of 60 bucks shipped. You have to pay for shipping there though. He also might charge more for more intricate designs

2 Likes

Not quite, it is $40 shipped per yo-yo if you mention them on social media and post pics. Which I was happy to do as the results were :ok_hand:

7 Likes

Got a pic handy of the yoyo you had done? Also, does the yoyo you send in need to be raw? Or do they strip the existing anno?

1 Like

The way to do this is search for my username and the keyword you are interested like so

@codinghorror gruntbull

which loosely translates to

show me all the times this person said these words

and leads you quickly to

5 Likes

Dang those turned out nice!! Thinking about getting one of my throws done up in a custom anno, and your post just answered all my questions. Thanks @codinghorror!

2 Likes

43,000 colorwats? No wat!

1 Like

$40 for getting those colorways done! That’s not bad!

It’s an step in catorozing and organizationing the colorways I’ve created. I go through periods, I number each catalogue inside of the catalogue there are bins these bins make up specific attributes that I’m looking to re-create. Inside of the catalogue also include the medium and method in which I’ve obtained a new colorway: most of my colorways are congruent to anodization however I’ve sold the rights to some for graphic designers and even an advertising firm which I’m not sure what they used them for. One can try using the color wheel however even with two of them and mixing the unique color it’s probably been done. There is software which can detect certain amounts of each color per centimeter and DPI. If you’re looking to get into designing color-ways study the rules and laws to make sure your efforts aren’t helping someone else out. -Throwtrue

1 Like

An archive of unique and specific steps including the method of achieving the desired outcome. Like a big cook book.

What? Are you telling me you sold the rights to a specific color palette? I mean I would understand if they purchased a color palette you came up with as a designer, but you cant personally copyright or trademark color palettes.

I’ve sold the right to use a completed piece. The rights to my work which a colorway would be part of what makes up a completed work, a copyright © piece. The steps to achieving the colorway do not merit a copyright or documentation in United States Library of Congress in itself.

2 Likes