Deployment

The only thing to really be concerned about will be the sand/dust. You may have to clean the bearing more frequently. Experience will be the determining factor.

First off, thanks for your service.

Second, others have given good advice. As many bearings and string as you can bring.

Third, I suggest bringing a fixed axle throw as well. With a fixie, youā€™d really only have to worry about bringing string. And although itā€™s different than a bearing throw, itā€™s still plenty fun and has its own benefits.

Pass on the plastic yo-yos. Bring a few good metal yoyosā€¦ Half a dozen bearingsā€¦ And a Bundle of string.

Keep your stuff in Zip lock bags. < I donā€™t mean the thin wimpy 'sandwich bags. I mean the small size Freezer bags. (The freezer bags are thicker and more durable and they zip up better. Put your string and bearings in one Zip and the yoyos in their own Zips. Pack an extra several Zip lock freezer bags. Put several in another Zip lock bag to keep them all dust free. If they will let you take some lube, take a small bottle of One Drop VM4. <Amazingly good lube. Or if you think you can keep from breaking it; get yourself a small glass bottle of the MonkeyFinger lube.

Good luck.

1 Like

What have you got against good old 6061 eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

^ This right here is a solid piece of advice. Taking along a side-effect yoyo and a few spare pairs of side effects will allay any axle-stripping fears. In the very rare event that you strip an axle you can simply swap out a new pair of side effects and youā€™re good to go.

On top of that, side effects further eliminate the issues of having a bearing seized to the bearing post, so you wonā€™t be there with a pair of pliers risking the safety of your bearing (though they do have a tendancy to hop out of the yoyo so make sure youā€™re careful you donā€™t drop your bearing in the sand).

So personally, if I was going to go out with only one yoyo, Iā€™d take a side-effect Onedrop. Probably a Markmont Classic myself, but thatā€™s just my preference. Benchmarks are a solid cheaper option. :slight_smile:

As yoyodoc mentioned, spare bearings are a very good idea and plenty ā€˜oā€™ string is a must. Depending on your preference there are some strings that are more hardy and enduring than others (Toxics), but they are too slick for some people so itā€™s up to you really. Just make sure you have enough, running out of string would really suck. :stuck_out_tongue:

I look forward to seeing you win Worlds some day sir!

Thank you for your service. Stay safe.

Thank you and good luck.

Thank you for your service.

All the pros have already swept in ang given there advice so thereā€™s not much else to add

The Monkey Fist is one of the most solid and stable yoyos you can get, especially at 50mm diameter. It will survive much punishment; but as others have said, itā€™s really just the bearing and consumables (response, string) that you will have to worry about.

Get another yoyo if you really want one. But if you already have the Fist, you donā€™t need one.

Nothing! I was just making a suggestion. My idea going into this was less parts = less risk, so a 7075 (stronger material) plus just the essentials (bearing, string, pads, and axle) would make the perfect combo. Donā€™t listen to me though, Iā€™ve only been in this game for 2 years.

Yeah, donā€™t listen to this guy. Or me. Or anyone else in this thread for that matter. Listen to your heart.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_b5WHLX0)

i dunno about you guys but all my heart says is ā€œthump thumpā€ā€¦ maybe its just meā€¦

Yeah I wish mine didnā€™t do thatā€¦
Really annoying.

I know

Take a wooden Fixed Axle yoyo and a pack of 100 type 10 strings as well as the bearing yoyo. This will be very low noise, low maintenance, and inexpensive.

I wish I would have had a TMBR on my deployment. I did have a Balisong that I made so it wasnā€™t all bad.

USMC 0341, Sangin City, Aghanistan.

Good luck on your deployment!

1 Like