Deployment

Alright so I am getting deployed in a few days, and I just recently picked up a monkey fist by spin dynamics, are there are throwers out there who know which yoyo will hold up the best when dealing with sand and sun damage and heat warping and anything else the odd middle east weather has to offer? Just wondering because this is my first deployment with the Army, and I know im going to want to throw over there, also a little back story to me, I’ve been throwing about 6 years on and off so I’m really good but Im above novice level, if that makes sense haha. Either way though I might be the only one in the military that yoyo’s and if that’s the case then it means I have to get even better During this deployment. Some help would be appreciated though so feel free to comment and help me out. -20q

Cant help with your question but would like to thank you for your service.

And I don’t think you are the only one in the military that throws. :slight_smile:

Woohoo the sandbox…fun times are ahead! (sarcasm filter now off)

I don’t think it really matters what you decide to throw but I would keep bearing shields on at all times and have a decent bearing cleaning station setup.

Where are you going to be stationed out there? I think that will make the biggest difference as everywhere isn’t exactly sandy but will be dusty more than anything.

Spin Dynamics yoyos are pretty durable. You should be good as long as you mind the bearing. Also, thank you for your service.

Make sure to bring lots of spare bearings and string. Bring as many as they’ll let you bring.

Onestars/Protostars are very durable. If you get the chance, the replays should be very good. Thank you for your service. Also, what yoyo is this guy using?

Looks like a General yo. Also based on the fact that Ernie sent some throws over I would say its likely.

You might consider the Dif-e-yo Juggernaut. Thick axle, hard coat anno, and it almost looks like a piece of military kit. I live in a desert, and I’ve found black to work well in bright environments.

Then again, the crescent moon Dif-e-yo logo might be a bit of a turn off, all things considered.

You are amazing! Thank you for your service ;D I would bring a plastic if you can like the Diffusion 2

I don’t quite understand what you are looking for but I wish you good luck and thank you for your service.

Thanks and that throw is actually pretty awesome, I might have to look into it, price isn’t all that much of a factor right now but I don’t really want to come back broke, knowing me that might end up happening, and that’s the last thing I want. I do have all some of my other throws now but I know it’s going to get really sandy over there, and I’m going all over but the first stop is Kuwait, and I am not sure how long I will be staying there but basically it’s all over the middle east that I am traveling, I want to come back pro status and I might have that happen while over there but who knows haha.

Bring extra bearings and a lot of string. The sand shouldn’t be too big a factor unless you’re unscrewing the yoyo in a sand/dust storm. Don’t do that.

You’ll have way more free time than you expect over there. What kind of yoyo you bring totally does not matter as long as you have it packed in a secure place on the way over- your baggage will not be handled carefully AT ALL. You’re not the only person in the military who yoyos.

Good luck. Make the best of it. The first one is often the worst one.

Thanks, That’s not reassuring all that much but I’ll take it for what it is and I always have it in my lowest cargo pocket (the one by the boots), so It usually doesn’t get hit to often and it’s still easily accessible for me, but I will have all of them in my carry on bag, so I don’t really plan on letting too many people touch them.

I’m sure you will be fine if you don’t expose the bearing to too much sand in it

The pic is from General Yo’s website. I’m pretty sure the yoyo is an Essence.

(Yoyo_Master) #16

Thank your for your service

When I was out there I was stuck in Kuwait for about a month and then another two weeks when I was heading back home. I’m sure you’ll be there an even shorter amount of time with how things have progressed out there now depending on your mos and who you are replacing.

Really though, I don’t really see how anything out there other than dust will be an issue.

I didn’t really encounter much sand outside of Kuwait when I was out there, mainly just super fine, dusty as hell dirt which got on everything, especially after sandstorms ugh.

If you can, I would just run bearings dry. If dust gets in there at least it won’t get all mucked up on an oil lubed bearing.

Also supplies shouldn’t be too much of an issue as you can have people send you some strings, bearings, etc with an APO address.

It shouldn’t be much of an issue, but you should probably keep your bearing shields on and your yoyos screwed together most of the time. As for a yoyo, what you have is good, but if you want something perfect when it comes to being playable, easy to maintain, and durable, I’d recommend any 7075 or a plastic. Some examples could be:

Werrd Irony JPX, One Drop Format C, One Drop Valor, or for a plastic, the Yoyorecreation Diffusion 2, Yoyofactory Onestar, or the Yoyojam Classic.

I would get something heavier. If you will be outside a lot and its windy it will help. Also heavier string. I find my one drop throws to be really durable. The side effects are replaceable and you can tighten them down really hard with no fears of stripping. Also means you can take them apart with no fears instead of picking at knots. Also the anodizing is really tough.

Thank you!

({RTD} alecto) #20

thank you for your service.

my dad has been over twice… year long tours. i dont think the dust should bet too much of a problem but make sure to bring another bearing just in case.

I would also bring lube another just in case item.

also if you want to try a fun trick take a cold bottle of water like right out of the freezer then take it out side and slowly unscrew the top and watch the water turn to ice… this is helpful to keep water nice and cold while out on a patrol.