DeHcade (...)

I take an old cotton string, run it through the gap and circle the axle 1-1.5 times and then lightly pull it through the guts (like a ripcord). I do it SLOW to avoid so much friction as to scorch the axle. I alternate sides and make sure the string touches different sections of the axle and gap. Just a few minutes accelerates the break-in process nicely.

10 Likes

Will do boss. Thanks!

1 Like

I think it is really cool that you (Ed) are going to throw a single fixie for a full year. There is no way I could do the same, but im going to do a few similar things in my yoyo journey this year to mirror this. First, fixed axle and responsive yoyoing will be my primary subjects. Stuff like the Daytripper, Daytona SB, the new RBC Al that I have yet to try, etc that I have in my collection are fair game. Second, im aiming for a ~5:1 play ratio of fixed/responsive to unresponsive. Third, which is a big goal, is to land Spirit Bomb on a wooden fixie.

I had a great experience with a fixed axle February where all I did was throw fixed axle for an entire month, not even a cheat throw. It really helped with my accuracy and I inadvertently levelled up when I threw unresponsive again. But now I have an appreciation for responsive play and 0A for what it is, and want to explore the style more intensively. Being able to do stalls mid play is more my pace than nonstop cat’s cradle speed tricks and derivative zontal combos.

Either way, im going to play it casual as it is a hobby, but im serious about it as well. Should be fun.

15 Likes

got my production run deHcades today! took some time to play with them and break them in. actually did a half swap because the grain lined up a little nicer. took a minute to reflect (after taking another minute remembering how a blog even works). very stoked.

just a few days and then we’re on it for real!

18 Likes

Sometimes you gotta sniff the wood, lol

Excited for you and everyone else. Going to do my own version (thank you for the inspiration), only use yoyos that can shoot the moon for a year.

11 Likes

Now I’m just waiting for another run, or for one to show up on the BST …

1 Like

Hmmmmm…

I am unsure if I can commit to the full year. Mostly because I’m real interested in putting some time in with the new FH One at some point. I do remember last time @edhaponik did this, I stayed responsive all (most?) of the year. But that was as good as I could do. Would be nice to join in on the decade full year tho.

Hmmmmmm…

5 Likes

I can’t commit to a full year of only fixie because some of my goals for next year involve competing in Scales / PNWR, but my compromise is to throw fixie every day which isn’t the same but should still be a fun challenge!

4 Likes

I know I can’t commit to every day, because tbh I don’t yoyo every day, and I love 1A too much to drop it. But I’ll dedicate to throw my fixie at least one day per week this year. I usually throw 1A and might play fixed-axle once every couple of weeks, so dedicating one day per week to fixed-axle is still a step for me. I also know myself and I know if I set too strict a goal, I’ll fall off and then completely lose it, whereas a smaller goal is something I can handle.

But yeah, fixed-axle is cool and I want to practice more. Great idea, can’t wait to see how it goes!

3 Likes

I’m three months in now, started a bit early. It’s been a journey that I wouldn’t trade for the world. I’ve grown to love 0a and can’t wait to see how far I go and what I learn!

6 Likes

oooh…this sounds fun. most of my play is with fixies already, so going a year shouldn’t be too difficult. The hardest part for me will be sticking with one yoyo, but this may be just the motivation needed.

5 Likes

Like pretty much anything in yoyo, this is NOT the kind of thing you do because somebody else is doing it and you feel like you ought to. I think that foundation would erode pretty quick and you’d grow to resent playing.

Not saying anybody’s doing that at all - just that the right approach (I think) is to go where you’re pulled, like people are saying. If you’re actively thinking about WHY you play, HOW you play, and WHAT you play, that’s already the whole basis for the challenge.

I have an aikido teacher who says “Anything less than 100% commitment is no commitment.” I use to think that was BS but now I agree with it. It’s not about commitment to the dojo or someone else’s standard. It’s about following through within YOUR life, living with integrity, and being totally invested in every throw (lol yo-yo’s or people) along the way.

23 Likes

I’m with you on the foundation of this statement. But I’d also leave a little room for the power of someone encouraging you to push yourself into something new that you might have otherwise shied away from. That’s a path that we can be shown by friends and other people we admire. Peer Pressure gets a bad rap because of the harm it can cause. And when done with uncaring malice, it can be evil indeed. But some of my greatest growth has been when someone I respect has supportively encouraged me to push myself to do something that I didn’t think I could do.

And then, with any luck, I can find the opportunity to complete the circle and do the same for others in my life.

9 Likes

My deHcade’s grain pattern matched perfectly, first TMBR I’ve owned where it is perfectly matched.

I’m really enjoying this yoyo!

6 Likes

Are there any tweaks that one does to a wooden responsive throw. I was lucky enough to get a deHcade and have never asked this before about responsive wood throws. I know Duncan use to have a wax that one would put on the axle. Thanks all!

2 Likes

You can wax your string, and with TMBRs you can adjust the gap. The world of modern wood is vast, so maybe if you have a specific concern or trait you’re wanting to increase/decrease we could help you out? (Not me necessarily, but being specific will let us know how better to help)

Also:

5 Likes

I wrap the threads of the axle in ptfe plumbing tape so it fits more snuggly and doesn’t unscrew during play ever

2 Likes

I feel like there HAVE to be a multitude of @edhaponik posts across the history of the forum that touch on this topic. We should probably have a reference section somewhere that makes it easier to find them…

8 Likes

Yeah there’s almost too much. There are so many ways to subtly tweak/adjust/tune/break-in wood throws. And they are so much more susceptible to minor changes in humidity, string life/tension, etc. I don’t wax or otherwise prepare my string or add anything to the axles personally but ymmv. A huge part of throwing wood is getting to know what you can do to make play more consistent and predictable.

10 Likes

A bit of wax can help a lot more than just a string in the gap. It gets on the parts of the wood where the most friction exists and really helps tone down the intensity of hitting new wood. Probably makes it last longer too. It takes time to break in, but you can change strings and it still plays great (after breaking in the string a little of course). What do you do when a yoyo just plays semi/non-responsive for a decent session?

4 Likes