Define a "Fun" Yo-yo

If you could get something fun to play with, define what you would want i.e.

• Shape
  • Weight
  • Finish
  • Material
  • Anno types (Fades, splashes, solids?)
  • Weight distribution

Thanks, and sorry for the hefty questions over the past couple days.

6 Likes

Green.

10 Likes

lol I couldn’t resist!

I don’t have all the exact details down on what I consider a “fun” throw. But basically for me it’s those yos I own that give me a lot of nostalgia and bring my inner kid out.
They may not be my highest performing yos…they may have some vibe and lower spin times that some of the others…but damn they’re fun! :smiley:

I love my Duncan Pro Z for example. It’s a very fun throw I like to bring out. It’s cheap, it’'s not anywhere near as high performing as a lot of my other throws…and I don’t care 1 bit! The looks of it and the feel of it just make me feel like a kid again and I love the dang thing!

3 Likes

Wood :), Delrin if shaped like a spintop :slight_smile:

1 Like

In reality, all yoyos are fun. People who say specific yoyos are more fun than others are just saying that they feel different/dont perform as well as a competition yoyo. So to answer your question:

Shape would probably be organic or a soft H shape.
Weight would probably be on the lighter side with center weight>rim weight
Finish would just be a normal blast.
Material could be anything, i actually really enjoy delrin so that would probably be my choice.

A good fun yoyo that might give you an idea would be the edgeless.

6 Likes

I’ve never encountered a properly functioning yoyo that’s isn’t fun.

11 Likes

Usually when I think “fun” for a yoyo, I think of a throw that isn’t exactly geared for competition because of some novel quality or feature (for example, over or undersized, cool material, weird/interesting shape, etc.) Duncan’s “big fun” comes to mind for obvious reasons, as well as the Sherpa, Metal Drifter XL, Bear Trap, and the Xcube Aware.

1 Like

Some yoyos are literally a pain to use (they are sharp or snaggy or have response issues) but all the rest are really fun.

2 Likes

My definition of a fun yoyo: It was made by One Drop. :wink:

5 Likes

“Low performance” throws - basically anything YYJ

2 Likes

If I smile or scream with joy, it’s a fun yoyo!

2 Likes

What is it with you and green anyway? It seems like it’s more than simple color preference. (Just honest curiosity)

2 Likes

I actually find that I have more fun with performance oriented throws. I don’t have experience with too many yoyos, but the ones I enjoy most tend to be very rim weighted, tending towards a v shape. Stability and long spinning are very important qualities as well, and it’s gotta be solid colors or bust. I generally prefer 63-65 g, and ~56x43 mm. That being said my 2010 Popstar is one of my top 5 favorite throws, so who knows haha. I just like yoyos

2 Likes

It really is about color preference…and trying to have some fun.

I understand I’m annoying. /sigh

4 Likes

Something that stands out, Canary is a blast to use and is undersized, Burm is also a blast and that is a tad oversized, “fun” is pretty much whatever.

2 Likes

Basically any yo-yo. That’s why we yoyo, cuz it’s fun

2 Likes

Does anyone remember the hulk smash CLYW phase? Man, there were some cats who went nuts for that splash. I can’t remember anyone by name, but I know there were a few with deep collections

1 Like

fun yo-yo - SEE: yo-yo

3 Likes

You’re hilarious, never change :grinning:

1 Like

Honestly the yo-yos I have the most fun with are the ones where I forget which yo-yo I’m throwing and just focus on the act itself. So really just yo-yos that line up with my preferences exactly. That way I’m not thinking oh this is heavy or it changes directions slowly or is too narrow or has too small of a catch zone. The less I’m focusing on an aspect of the yo-yo the more I’m focusing on yoyoing.

2 Likes